Whats my best option with recording guitar??

doclegion

Contagious Destruction
Dec 31, 2006
Im gonna be recording a new demo for my band soon and i was wondering what i should go with as far as a good guitar tone??
Well he has a Bugera 333 and it sounds good i think but its tube? The only problem i have is that overtime with tube amps they always sound inconsistant everyother day which could create a problem
I own a POD pro and its awesome never changes tone or anything and my final choice is reamping?? As of now i dont really have anything for reamping and ive never done it so it might be a bad time to learn while tracking guitar
hahaha
I was thinking to record with the POD it sounds good to me but he might be determined to use his amp?? What should i do??
I just want to make the best demo i can really

If you're really concerned about variation (a lot of people here will tell you to use the tube amp, period), record clean tracks (using the POD to monitor) and then reamp on a 'good' day.

Jeff

Definitely a bad time to learn if you are on a tight schedule for tracking
The inconsistencies with the amp won't be noticable if you track it all in the same general time
I doubt you'll be recording one track this week and then another three months later and be playing your Bugera all day everyday between those two sessions
so for now I would go with the Bugera until you learn how to use the POD
who knows
you may find you like the amp more than the POD
personally
I like the sound I can get out of my POD
here are some examples
http://www.soundclick/horizonrecordings
Sick Break Riff is the newest one, actually recorded it 10 minutes ago
haha
but definitely learn about reamping and recording dry signals and all that so you have options later on down the road
but for now since you don't really have time I would go with the Bugera

I don't know what sort of tube amps you're using, but every well-maintained amp I've used has retained the same general tonality (ie. you can't tell the differences) over a span of weeks. Reamping is the best choice for the most consistent tone, without a doubt, but it comes with its own pitfalls. For reamping to be pulled off, you need a great DI, mic pre and converter. I don't even have to exaggerate here, because the DI tracks are so fundamentally crucial to the tone of your final guitar sound. If you use bad gear to capture your DIs you WILL lose fidelity, and lots of it. Transients are first to go, then are the highs and lows. After you've lost all 3, you will find the tone to be amazingly flabby and undefined, with absolutely no dimensionality or bite to it.

So weigh it all up. Record a clean DI either which way, as it will give you more options in the end.

Its nothing real tight of a schedule I was gonna buy a radial active box so i can learn how to reamp
I can reamp with the POD things just get confusing and there is something im not understanding about it when i go to re-record the track after i get nothing but feedback it sucks but im gettin close