demo recording

Hexer

Nov 1, 2003
Germany
Visit site
hoi, everyone!

before I start, let me tell you: I'm pretty much a total noob when it comes to recording!

so here's the problem:
me and my band-mates have been asked for recordings pretty often lately, so we want to try and record some songs for a demo. problem is: none of us knows how to record properly, nor do we have the equipment, nor much money :cool:

we cant spend much money on a good studio-recording, so what would you suggest we do? find someone who can do decent home-recording for us? try to find someone with a small studio to record in? get some equipment and do it ourselfs?
as far as equipment goes, here is what we have:

guitar1/vocals: Boss GT-8, an ok soundcard (seems to be ok for recording, dunno the modell or anything...)

guitar2/main vocals: ENGL Powerball+cab, Shure SM58, Behringer tube ultragain MIC200

bass: pretty much nothing but the bass lol

our drummer has 2 or 3 mics (we can borrow some more old SM58s I think), a small 4-channel-mixer and a little PA (also an old guitar-amp and a bass-amp that we could use)

as far as computer-progs go, we have Cool Edit Pro 2.0, Cubase SX (havent really used it so far) and Wavelab

a friend and his band did recordings with an E-drumset and behringer vamp and Line6 POD for guitars, havent heard the outcome so far though.

any ideas? recommendations? anything?

I'd say either go with a friend who knows what they're doing, or pool your money and buy some time at a small pro studio. You could easily get a week in a decent place for less than what it costs to build a decent home studio (I wish I could send a message back in time to myself that says, "You Need More Stuff Than You Think You Do").
I totally recommend learning the craft of home recording; it's very rewarding. But it's a long process, and in the short run you'd probably be better off going pro. Especially if you want a demo done soon; you have to every mistake in order to learn, it seems.