What's the deal with Wolfmother?

remington69

Music + Science = Sexy
Feb 7, 2003
NW Chicago 'burbs
www.livejournal.com
I don't get them. People say "Oh, they're the second coming of Sabbath and [SIZE=-1]Zeppelin".

First of all, they can't hold a candle to either band. And if I want to listen to a band that reminds of [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Zeppelin, I'll listen to [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Zeppelin!!

I guess I just don't understand the new wave of classic rock sounding bands. Since when did classic rock become a genre? For example, my brother-in-laws band (www.bulletcalledlife.com) is a classic rock band. Basically, they sound like the Who/Doors/[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Zeppelin. Nothing original. And, again, if I want to listen to a band that reminds me of the Who....I'll listen to The Who!!!!

Je ne sais pas.
[/SIZE]

Preach...

Wolfmother is horrible. I have heard a couple songs on the radio and just didn't get it either. The same thing for the Artic Monkey's. God, they are crap.

I'm thinking this current generation of kids (early teens to early 20's) have no originality to them what so ever. They go to watch remade movies, listen to remade music and cling on to any fashion that mtv says is hip. White kids are the most confused. They think they're inner city black kids, when most of them live in the confines of some posh suburban home, where mommy and daddy pay for everything. Their only original contribution comes in the form of "emo" music (which is a cross between way watered down punk and some crybaby bullshit) where guys come off as androgynous and the girls think it's sexy (sounds like hair metal to me). Every thing for them comes prepackaged and thought out 10 purchases in advance.At least expand on the sounds and ideas, most of the new "hot" music is just a blatant rip off of what ever they are trying to emulate. Napalming highschools and daily random beatings in the streets may be the only answer at this point. :loco:

karrokid said:
I'm thinking this current generation of kids (early teens to early 20's) have no originality to them what so ever. They go to watch remade movies, listen to remade music and cling on to any fashion that mtv says is hip. White kids are the most confused. They think they're inner city black kids, when most of them live in the confines of some posh suburban home, where mommy and daddy pay for everything. Their only original contribution comes in the form of "emo" music (which is a cross between way watered down punk and some crybaby bullshit) where guys come off as androgynous and the girls think it's sexy (sounds like hair metal to me). Every thing for them comes prepackaged and thought out 10 purchases in advance.At least expand on the sounds and ideas, most of the new "hot" music is just a blatant rip off of what ever they are trying to emulate. Napalming highschools and daily random beatings in the streets may be the only answer at this point. :loco:

I concur

The main problem with music today is that there is sooooo much crap, and the kids of now, grow up listening to crap thinking its good and so they emulate the crap and grow up to make more crap. Then bands try to play their own original shit and get hosed for it because it doesnt sound like everything else, and when they play shit that sounds like everyone else they get hosed for not being original. I fucking Hate EVERYONE!!!:zombie:

remington69 said:
I don't get them. People say "Oh, they're the second coming of Sabbath and [SIZE=-1]Zeppelin".

First of all, they can't hold a candle to either band. And if I want to listen to a band that reminds of [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Zeppelin, I'll listen to [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Zeppelin!!

I guess I just don't understand the new wave of classic rock sounding bands. Since when did classic rock become a genre? For example, my brother-in-laws band (www.bulletcalledlife.com) is a classic rock band. Basically, they sound like the Who/Doors/[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Zeppelin. Nothing original. And, again, if I want to listen to a band that reminds me of the Who....I'll listen to The Who!!!!

Je ne sais pas.
[/SIZE]
I hear you. In the 80s we had Led Clones not necassarily hair bands but bands that should have been Zeppelin cover bands. Ozzy and Garry Moore made a song called Led Clones. :zombie:

I think why they are getting so much hype is because they aren't trying anything new. they are kinda going against the grain I guess because they aren't some metalcore band sounding like all the other metalcore bands out there they are going back in history of rock and bringing a new retro sound.

DarbysDad said:
I hear you. In the 80s we had Led Clones not necassarily hair bands but bands that should have been Zeppelin cover bands. Ozzy and Garry Moore made a song called Led Clones. :zombie:

Yeah, but Dredd Zeppelin still kicks ass:headbang:

karrokid said:

I'm only 18
But I agree

Preach on

DD - I missed that concert, my buddies saw Dred Zeppelin in Chico years ago....talk about brown cloud :D :D :D.

We used to sing Dred's cover of the immigrant song every night before classes getting the wail's down pat etc. when we were in the air force.

My roomate at the time was apparently from the same hometown as me and we didn't know it, we just knew we got asses kicked by the same kids. But he went on to be a body builder and damn good amateur-pro wrestler while i was in the service.

Hell he was so slick he had the girls doing him, his laundry, and his cooking...Life of Riley for ol TJ.

This is why I like "The Darkness" They are a throw-back to the '70's but they don't directly copy anyone, but they do lean towards "Queen".

In my earlier post I didn't mean to say "all young people". I play at a lot of coffee house things and meet a lot of young kids and young adults who do singer/songwriter and spoken word stuff. Quite a bit off it is original sounding and heart felt. I support kids that want to make art for the sake of making it no matter how fucked up or against the grain it is. It's the other 90 percent of the teenage population that needs to be exteriminated.

i really like artic monkeys, think their debut bar the odd quiet number is outstanding, fake tales of san fancisco, is a song about exctly what you guys are slating on here

so anyway, love the monkeys for bunch of 18 yr olds they write catchy stuff, think wolfmother are awful but great hairdos.......... as fer the darkness, i just hate that band so much, makes me smile tho that in a thread about originality, the darkness turn up, if justin hwkins could stick a freddie mercury buttplug up his ass, it'd be there for good, haha they lean towards queen....lean?? if i was brian may, i'd be like, hey what the fuck are you idiots up to, pissing over my songs? i hate queen too, maybe thats why i hate those imposters even more

karrokid said:

I'm 24, and that is why i hate almost everybody my age and younger.

lokey said:
i really like artic monkeys, think their debut bar the odd quiet number is outstanding, fake tales of san fancisco, is a song about exctly what you guys are slating on here

so anyway, love the monkeys for bunch of 18 yr olds they write catchy stuff, think wolfmother are awful but great hairdos.......... as fer the darkness, i just hate that band so much, makes me smile tho that in a thread about originality, the darkness turn up, if justin hwkins could stick a freddie mercury buttplug up his ass, it'd be there for good, haha they lean towards queen....lean?? if i was brian may, i'd be like, hey what the fuck are you idiots up to, pissing over my songs? i hate queen too, maybe thats why i hate those imposters even more

One good thing about XM radio is that I'm introduced to alot of newer bands. If you want to hear good new music, you won't have luck on FM. They lean towards classic rock, 80's, and 90's but nothing really new unless it's hip hop or the britney spears'. I've always been about the music, melody, rythm and blues.

I've given arctic monkeys open ears and felt nothing from them.