What's your single favourite At the Gates song?

lurch70 said:
yeah right ... I am a huge Slayer fan and can tell you while Show No Mercy is good it is mediocre compared to their later work and by far not my fave.

Show No Mercy rules an ungodly amount of ass. It may be my favorite overall, but I've got more listening to do before I decide such a thing. But shit man, it's gonna be hard to top.

Demilich said:
You're one crazy guy... maybe you should listen harder? to what's actually there?

Like I said before, I am not a musician nor will I ever be one. Maybe some of you are hearing things based from a musicians point of view.
Strictly from an entertainment view, the first record sounds like a collection of very similar songs to me ... no matter how "hard" I listen.

Nah, I understand completely where lurch is coming from, especially since Morbid Angel, Sepultura, and Slayer didn't put out their best shit til about 4 or 5 albums in. I feel the same way about a lot of death metal bands early material, but I do find Red in the Sky pretty unique, mostly due to the violins and shit. Is it a masterpiece? Nah, but it's still pretty cool. I've had a soft spot for early death metal (particularly Swedish) the last few years though, 5 years ago I blew off all the original death metal stuff including Carcass' early material.

lurch70 said:
Like I said before, I am not a musician nor will I ever be one. Maybe some of you are hearing things based from a musicians point of view.
Strictly from an entertainment view, the first record sounds like a collection of very similar songs to me ... no matter how "hard" I listen.

Maybe it has something to do with your sound-system? I listened to it in my car once and it sounded like shit, but at home it sounds great! I'm not MUCH of a musician, but I try ;)

I've never heard TSD.

But this only goes back to my other argument about not needing to listen to hardcore yet since there's so much stuff left in metal. :D

Demilich said:
Maybe it has something to do with your sound-system? I listened to it in my car once and it sounded like shit, but at home it sounds great! I'm not MUCH of a musician, but I try ;)

I think he's referring to the "raw and unpolished" sound. No matter what sound system you're using, it will ALWAYS sound raw and unpolished. At that point, it's all a matter of taste.

The fact is, some people prefer clean, polished, very produced, technically clinical sounds. Just look at the number of people who like Nevermore, specifically for that reason.

Give me an 8 track and case of beer any day. :kickass:

Listened to TSD last night. Those first six songs are grand. Beautiful Wound has to be the most "different" song AtG has ever done. Almost sounds happy and "bouncy" in a weird sort of way.

About production; I've never been one to really care about production. Judging an album based on production is ridiculous. And I've seen reviewers dock a point because the drums were too low. I mean, what the blue fuck? Seriously? I'm not accusing anyone here, I'm just saying. If you can hear it, that's good enough for me.

the sound system I have is fine. worked in audio sales for 4 years so I gathered some good gear. as a matter of fact a good sound system is more capable of showing the limitations of a recording.

but maybe that is the case, I do like more polished stuff but I also like raw stuff. That aforementioned Morbid Visions is a brilliant album, but by no means the best Sepultura had to offer. If anything it is a great reference point of where the band came from and how much they improved.

my question really was how you can consider the early ATG brilliant and dismiss their later work, which was really much more mature.

or is this some Metallica type of thing ... where I was introduced to ATG with SOTS and you guys kinda grew up with them?

I think the main difference between SotS and TSD is the feel. While people love to worship the production on SotS, I actually think it is soewhat of a weakness. Too clean and clear. TSD hardly has that, plus the songs on TSD are so much more interesting regardless of the similarities.

SotS is simply a stripped-down-to-bare-bones album. It's almost like bubble-gum metal. Tastes great for a while, but then it just loses it's flavor, and you spit it out.

I like production that fits. Sometimes slick, sometimes dirty, sometimes somewhere in between. I fucking hate muffled production though, dirty production is plenty doable without sounding like there are pillows in front of the speaker. Kyuss had some pretty wicked bad awesome production, definitely dirty but not muffled.
Erik said:
TSD is awesome but if you think it's all that different from "Slaughter of the Soul" you're deluding yourself.
True, but TSD has about 500x more balls and better songs. I got Slaughter of the Soul around when it came out due to all the hype, then a few years later found a copy of TSD (which at one point was pretty hard to find for whatever reason) and then... yesssssssssss, or something.
JayKeeley said:
I've never heard TSD.
9970a.jpg

telegraph.gif

Indian_Fire.jpg

listen too much to production or let the rather impenetrable structures hinder you,

i think this is the point exactly where we differ ... and where being a musician helps some of you dig this stuff.

this was my point Erik, to me it sounds like two different bands for sure. TRISTIO and SOTS in a blind test ... I don't think anyone would be able to tell that is the same band.

now my preference is for the later ... and on an opposite side, also for the earlier Metallica.

again, I think you guys were listening to ATG in order of release and not going backwards in their catalog like I was.

I agree with Erik on four of those five points. I thought Slaughter of the Soul was original enough when it came out. But yeah, it pales next to its predecessors.

My favorite will always be With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness, though...

So where'd that dude that wrote all (or most at least) of their early material end up? Looks like he played bass for Grotesque, was there anything interesting there?