When is double bass drumming TOO fast?

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Well, I think I can say it's too fast when it is starting to sound like a continous waveform... as in this video at 1:46 :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0W59Z4aqb4&feature=related[/ame]

That sounds very musical to my ears! *cough* (Yeah, I am a little jealous of his speed but I can admit I'm much more jealous of his technique on the snare for the 300 BPM blast)

That's pretty interesting....
IIRC i saw this guy with his band last year (can't remember the name), they were opening for Chimaira In Lausannes (switzerland) and the guy was definitely not that tight....
Lots of blast beat and not very musical at all... but it could have been a bad night for him....

Were are the mics on the youtube clip ????

Okay, that is fast, I must admit. I will never be able to do that myself... But that video just proves again why I hate that kind of heavy metal trigger sound. Its the same as listening to silenced machine gun cock and load itself. It just sounds like shit. The fact is that when you start to do 16th notes at faster than 120bpm, you start to lose bass from the kickdrum. Especially if you trigger them. AFAIK most of the triggering softwares play the full samples, but when you start to layer them, the lowend waves just doesn't have enough time to do a full circle which require about 15-30ms (depending on a lot of shit that doesn't really matter, a full 50hz wave for example is 20ms long, in maths its 1000ms/50hz) and then the hits start to cancel eachother out because 16th of a note at 150bpm is 25ms for example (in maths: 1000ms*(60secs/150bpm)/16th) and at 220bpm it is 17ms. so if you want to have some low end on it, its the easier just to highpass the kick and push sidechain gated sinewave thru the speakers for that low end.

...so if you want to have some low end on it, its the easier just to highpass the kick and push sidechain gated sinewave thru the speakers for that low end.

Haha thats so true!! I never thought of it in such a mathematical way, but I definitely agree. Theres just no room for bass. They might as well use tin cans for their kick (notice I didn't say bass) drums.

Speed just doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm way more happy with a dude using a djembe than some crazy fast 300 bpm metal song.

With my DM band, we play around 260/270 BPM, and for me, that's already a bit too fast, cuz after 250 bpm, you just start too loose groove and feel, it's starts to become more and more grind, les musical...

Hahahahaha... maaaaaaaaan Marcus... can you tell me what the fuck you eat if you manage to pull a fart like that? :D

Haha, well I've actually accumulated something of a list, some entries being Greek Strained Yogurt (e.g. Fage, Oikos), Swiss Muesli, Indian Food, Peanut Butter, etc. :lol:

Okay, that is fast, I must admit. I will never be able to do that myself... But that video just proves again why I hate that kind of heavy metal trigger sound. Its the same as listening to silenced machine gun cock and load itself. It just sounds like shit. The fact is that when you start to do 16th notes at faster than 120bpm, you start to lose bass from the kickdrum. Especially if you trigger them. AFAIK most of the triggering softwares play the full samples, but when you start to layer them, the lowend waves just doesn't have enough time to do a full circle which require about 15-30ms (depending on a lot of shit that doesn't really matter, a full 50hz wave for example is 20ms long, in maths its 1000ms/50hz) and then the hits start to cancel eachother out because 16th of a note at 150bpm is 25ms for example (in maths: 1000ms*(60secs/150bpm)/16th) and at 220bpm it is 17ms. so if you want to have some low end on it, its the easier just to highpass the kick and push sidechain gated sinewave thru the speakers for that low end.
cool, thanks for sharing the info. I always noticed how the faster the kicks go, the thinner they sound, but this was a good break down. really makes sense!

"We used to program our drum patterns, but that ended up sounding too organic for our tastes. Then we found this guy Guido and our problem was solved."