When should I use surgical EQ? Is Reaper ReaFir any good?

everdrone

mixing scientist n00b
Mar 30, 2009
www.myspace.com
I am a n00b mixing beginner :wave: any and all insights are appreciated. I just mixed my hard rock song "Dead man walking" ( http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11402264 ) and used reafir on everything, the master, all tracks. I removed the bass and drum frequencies under 30hz and reduntantly copied pasted that onto the master track. removed guitar frequencies under 50hz.

is this a good thing to do, to just remove the low end instead of shelf of 6 decibles of low pass/high pass?

maybe use a reaper band equalizer instead?

what reaper plugin is better?

when should I high pass?

I dont know how to import my s2.3 into separate tracks so should I try to find a way to put toontrack surgical eqs or lowpass/highpass for each drum/cymbal? I use the 2.3 presets and Metal Foundry is at the front desk at my apartment waiting for me to install :)

thanks for any and all comments

rock on! :worship:

It's a good practice to high-pass each and every track until right before the point at which it becomes audible, if not audibly, which is also common. It clears up the mix, saves headroom, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
many thanks, that was so helpful Audiosprite, you summed it up perfectly. great advice and thanks for digging up that great video! I need to watch more of those. cheers :)