When Time Fades... interviews

Really enjoyed both Andrews and Gregg's latest. Amazing that Gregg has enough knowledge not just to play all those different instruments but to teach as well. Very impressive.

I also find it quite amazing that there is so much going on in his head that he can write the music he does for other styles, not just prog or metal. I know that few people stick solely with one style but it is refreshing to read that Gregg wants to branch out with his recordings. Here's hoping he gets to see it released somehow.

Hey Gregg, in most of the interviews you mention that you prefer being in the studio over playing live. Is that cos of your perfectionism and the fact that you can do things over and over till you get things right in the studio? And do you consider performing a necessary evil that you'd rather not do at all? or is it just a preference issue?

Just something I've been wondering about :)

I'm glad you like the interview! I'm interested to see what Gregg says in response to your question. (good question, by the way) :)

Hey Gregg, in most of the interviews you mention that you prefer being in the studio over playing live. Is that cos of your perfectionism and the fact that you can do things over and over till you get things right in the studio? And do you consider performing a necessary evil that you'd rather not do at all? or is it just a preference issue?

Just something I've been wondering about :)

Hey...you're pretty much correct, but there is a little more to it. I don't dislike performing music - it's performing this style of music because it has to be so perfect! I like playing jazz when the ensemble improvises and works with each other; I also like performing in groups with a conductor who holds things together. But the main reason is just being nervous and self-conscious because people want perfection.

Recordings in a way ruined live music because now everyone expects everything to be perfect in a way that is inhuman. Suspyre's music is some of the hardest I have played (and I have played many concerts in diverse genres), mostly because there is no conductor, so if anyone misses a beat the whole thing falls apart.

And besides that, the music has to be memorized (when music is committed to memory it can be performed better, too, because the performer is concentrating on performing the music, not the instructions on how to perform the music). I may be the one person that prefers to read the notation as I play, but it isn't because I don't have it memorized, it's to make sure my mind doesn't wander and I don't get distracted. Usually if I see a cable that's knotted or wrapped around a piece of drum equipment I get really uneasy and can't pay attention and forget where I am in the song. That's the OCD coming out, heh. I like to focus on the sheet music because that's the way I learned.

I always got nervous having to do anything from memory in public - I did acting as a kid and choked up when I had to memorize my lines. I think the reason I memorize so many pointless weird facts (currently working on getting all the U.S. Presidents' birthdays and astrological signs - don't run for President if you're an Aquarius, you'll die in office or get shot) is because spitting back information on the spot is something I always had trouble doing.

Another big issue is that I get pretty bad social anxiety in crowded places, especially if I have to perform. Playing with a band is a little easier because it's not just me in the spotlight (I hate being the center of attention). The reason I didn't originally want to major in music is because I though I would have to do frequent solo recitals. Once I realized that the theory/composition major didn't require as many recitals, and that I participated in enough ensembles to be exempt, it helped ease my fears. But, metal concerts are a lot different than the more classical/jazz crowd I'm used to. I learned to actually like jazz and improvisational performances, because it is hard to be wrong.

I do like to play music, but I prefer to create something tangible, not to worry the entire time if it sounds okay and if people are enjoying it. At a live show, I never can hear anything because everything is so loud that it hurts and it's so hot I can barely breathe. I just don't like working under those kinds of conditions. I prefer a climate controlled office at a computer and working as quickly or slowly as I need in order to reach the goal. Also, I know what the results are going to be. If you work hard on it, people will listen and your art will be spread. At a live show, a string could break and ruin the night, or the sound guy could fall asleep (a-hem), or a fuse could blow, etc etc.

Anyway - that's a long answer, sorry about that!

No worries about the long answer, it was a good read and makes it more understandable that you aren't too enthusiastic to get on stage and perform. I can understand that Progpower Europe last year was a nightmare come true for you then (the blown fuses, broken string). I guess it's a lot like the regular anxiety that people get, a certain nervousness, when performing/doing a presentation/talking in front of crowds, just turned up a notch or two.

I think that, during a live show, most people in the crowd wouldn't recognize a small mistake or two, but when you're playing something as hard as what you write for Suspyre it is probably impossible not to worry about something going wrong even if you've practiced it over and over.

All-in-all I think your anxiety (and dislike of the hot stage) is very understandable, and I would probably feel similar if I were in your shoes. As for the sound on stage though, couldn't that be fixed for you with in-ear monitors? I know you use sound-stoppers/noise blockers, but I found, in a job that I had in the past in a factory, that custom-made earplugs stop so much more sound than regular noise blockers do. Perhaps custom made in-ear monitors would be something to look in to?

And did you really have a sound guy fall asleep on you during a gig? That would be a nice story to hear :p

No worries about the long answer, it was a good read and makes it more understandable that you aren't too enthusiastic to get on stage and perform. I can understand that Progpower Europe last year was a nightmare come true for you then (the blown fuses, broken string). I guess it's a lot like the regular anxiety that people get, a certain nervousness, when performing/doing a presentation/talking in front of crowds, just turned up a notch or two.

I think that, during a live show, most people in the crowd wouldn't recognize a small mistake or two, but when you're playing something as hard as what you write for Suspyre it is probably impossible not to worry about something going wrong even if you've practiced it over and over.

All-in-all I think your anxiety (and dislike of the hot stage) is very understandable, and I would probably feel similar if I were in your shoes. As for the sound on stage though, couldn't that be fixed for you with in-ear monitors? I know you use sound-stoppers/noise blockers, but I found, in a job that I had in the past in a factory, that custom-made earplugs stop so much more sound than regular noise blockers do. Perhaps custom made in-ear monitors would be something to look in to?

And did you really have a sound guy fall asleep on you during a gig? That would be a nice story to hear :p

I always wear earplugs when rehearsing, performing, going to any concert, or to the movie theater.

I have considered the custom made earplugs. They actually used to make them at a facility near me, but stopped due to lack of interest. Not finding a nearby provider of such product made me accidentally forget to officially invest in a pair. Also, they are expensive and since I don't play out much, I don't know how worth it it is to have them.

I had a conversation with a drum instructor who swears by them; he puts them in whenever there is any sound that can be painful, even while driving by noisy roadwork. Loud music is so bad for your ears, and frankly, sounds worse, so I just never understood the point in it. I think it's just the louder the band, the worse they are...when music is so loud your ears tire quicker and you miss out on certain musical elements, so these loud bands are trying to hide their inaccuracies. The best concerts I've ever experienced have also been the quietest concerts I've ever heard. And why do you think mixing and mastering engineers constantly give advice to listen to music at a reasonable volume?

The sound guy at ProgPowerEurope was the sleeping sound guy! I vividly remember his head hung low every time I looked over at him during the festival, heh.

Thanks for the insight Gregg.

Count me as one of the few that likes when bands are NOT perfect in concert. Not that I enjoy glaring mistakes and having the chance to ridicule anyone (not cool since I can't play a note). But I like to know the band is human, and it give the show a more realistic feel. I like to hear the crowd, the life of the show, etc. But I can certainly understand the other point of view, especially from a performers perspective.

Thanks for the insight Gregg.

Count me as one of the few that likes when bands are NOT perfect in concert. Not that I enjoy glaring mistakes and having the chance to ridicule anyone (not cool since I can't play a note). But I like to know the band is human, and it give the show a more realistic feel. I like to hear the crowd, the life of the show, etc. But I can certainly understand the other point of view, especially from a performers perspective.

I, too, like when things are different. Little mistakes and alterations are what makes it a live concert rather than just a public hearing of a CD. But the thing about Suspyre's music is that it's very easy for a little mistake to become a large, embarrassing, trainwreck mistake.