When Time Fades... reviews

It was an awesome place to be and we had a great time. There were ups and downs...mostly ups thanks goodness.

We had some sound issues with the show and other things as well, but with everything that was presented to us I think we did ok.

I love Europe and would like to move there...now.

Clay

Just being in Europe was the best part. I, too, want to move there ASAP. I took some time before and after the festival to explore a little more of Europe than just Baarlo, The Netherlands (which was an amazing little town; I felt so comfortable there).

I couldn't get over how clean everything was, and that the whole vibe in the cities I visited (Maastricht, NL; Düsseldorf, DE; and Bonn, DE) was very relaxed and safe! I had the pleasure to go on a tour of Maastricht with a friend of the family, and when asked why there were no police on the streets, he responded with "there's no crime." Wow.

There were some problems with the show, one being the processor I bought specifically for this show (a Line6 POD X3 Live, so I knew how my guitar was going to sound before the show started) blew a fuse when I plugged it into the Dutch outlets, even though I thought I used the proper converter. Luckily they provided Marshall amps that weren't too hard to figure out. Also, Rich broke a string at a crucial moment, causing things to get a little crazy for a second while he switched guitars. Luckily, he decided last minute to bring Clay's 7-string to use for April in the Fall (instead of just relearning it on a 6), but then he had to play some songs on the 7 that he never did before, so that was disorienting for him.

Besides that, the show was fun and it was awesome seeing the crowd know our words and our odd-time signatures. I seriously watched someone mouth out all the accents in the syncopated, mixed meter sections.

I think they must've meant the fact that there was no crime going on right that second, Gregg, cos our police tend to show up only after the fact. Whereas your cops are always visible (from what I've seen while I was in Oklahoma (of all places)), ours tend to be lazy shits that are so caught up in paperwork that they have no time for prevention. There's more cops on the streets in the bigger cities than there are overthere, even though Heerlen (a town close to Maastricht) has the highest crime rate in the country, cos of drug tourism from both Belgium and Germany. Glad you guys had a good time though, we did as well. Some of us - unfortunately not all from what I've read but you can't please everyone right? - are looking forward to seeing you guys play again here in Europe. We'll bring some erotic artifact to your show again next time that you would've never thought possible. Pussyfoot was only the start *cue maniacal laughter*

How about the rest of the band members, what were your experiences April, Rich and Andrew?

Finally... ;) I'm not quite sure of some expressions, but you'll get the point.

Summary of the review from Stormbringer:

Fine stuff from the USA that includes more European elements into their sound than SX or DT do.
Prog metal on a highest level, with a playing time of impressive 75 minutes. Oblique (?) beats, speedy and interesting guitar playing, along with absolute killer hooks and great atmospheric passages and an extremely talented shouter, stylistically a mix between Russell Allen and Daniel Gildenlöw. Almost nothing to complain about.
You gotta take the time and spin the record a few times. There's too much happening to get all the details on first listen. There are saxophones playing oriental melodies. In vein, you are looking for stringent song structrues. The author has to admit that sometimes, it's a bit "over the top". Most prog parts are interesting, but others are complety ill-timed or a pure end in itself. But it's okay, as there are many prog bands on a high level that have these parts.
Especially the guitar sound could be better production-wise, but overall, the production is good.
The author loves the PoS references (like in the great "Siren" and "Reign" - being the highlights next to "The Light of Fire" and "Let Freedom Ring"). On these tracks, Clay's voice has this Gildenlöw touch.

Conclusion: very challenging album that will provide many hours of entertainment on a high level - if you are willing to take the time. But it will be very rewarding! Of course, less could be more sometimes. Some tracks suffer from too many progressive parts, breaks and oblique harmonies. Nevertheless, fans of progressive rock and metal by bands like SX, DT, Vanden Plas or PoS should check it out!

Summary of the review from Metal Underground:

Suspyre proves that symphonic prog metal is not only an European thing. There are just a few bands that have such a force of sound as Suspyre has. Still being a sleeper in the music scene, the new album could change their status.
The opening track has a rough, powerful sound, enriched by melodic keyboards and progressive elements. The strong voice fits the material very well without trying to immediately hit any high notes.
"Evolutions" is more bombastic with a lot of synth sounds, along with sounds that almost have the character of a score. Very playful, with a bit of raw power that makes the track very complex. Like in a mosaic, many ideas were put together in this monumental track.
The next track starts slowly, but soon becomes a speedy number. Once more, the good sound shines in this song. The guitar players are very good. The track has many progressive arrangements, but not too many.
"Siren" reminds of a score. Usually, the author dislikes saxophones, but not here. The song simply makes him enjoy all the ideas and the sound.
The violin arrangements in "Reign" give the song kind of a folk character, with progressive elements being more in the background.
One can't get enough of the band's theatratical sound that is balanced in every moment.
The growling vocals in "The Light of the Fire" fit the song very well and could also enrich the other material.
The last song almost has the character of a metal opera.

Conclusion: very impressive album with a lot of bombastic, progressive, symphonic, raw and hard elements. Definitely not an album for a quick listen, but very rewarding for the patient listener.

Somebody that knows they hate a certain genre should never do a review for an album in that genre. And Suspyre sound way different than Symphony X. His email is dgehlke@blistering.com for anybody that wants to tell him this.

hahaha...no email bombing please.

but I did find the review amusing and eye opening when it comes to people who really hate this genre. I don't know why there is so much hate for it...but at least now I know.

It's very obvious this person went into the listening of the album quite biased and never bothered to listen more than once. I fully agree that people who don't like a genre shouldn't bother writing reviews about it, cos it'll always turn out as a negative read and disappointing for the writer him/herself as well.