When to take producer credit?

Decide going into the recording whether you are producing at all. Sometimes the best producing is not fucking up something great. It's not about how many suggestions you make, it's more about the band having your opinion and experience available.

i doubt you can "take" the credit in any event. either the band views/hires you in that capacity or they don't. if your presence was very informal, and they had no official producer, then if your suggestions were taken then you can certainly broach the subject if you like, but i wouldn't be surprised if you were let down on that one.

Decide going into the recording whether you are producing at all.

+1

Bringing this up before Starting recording also gives you an Idea of where you stand and how welcoming bands are to your Ideas.

If I get a Band which Don't want any "producing" from me it Usually means that I'll steer Clear from throwing ideas in.

I am not the most experienced dude on this forum but I would say it is the engineer's job to make a song sound very good. And sometimes that has to do with the fx, the automation, etc, etc. And this is the part where composers who know nothing about studio recording suck because of the lack of experience. So I would say that a producer becomes a producer as soon as the recording is not only consisted of the "obvious relatively dry tracks"... or something. :p
If a producer thought adding one of those sub-kick would rock and it does, then he is a producer. If the band really wanted the sub-kick where it rocks, and it does, then no producer yet. If the band wants sub-kicks but is not sure where, a producer is born.

I personally think agreeing on this subject before the project as started is not the best thing to do because you don't know how "ignorant" the musicians are towards the recorded result at the final step. But as I said, I am not the most experienced dude on here.

Well i'm just starting out, so the bands i'm recording right now are just on the regional level. They obviously have no official producer. For these kinds of bands, taking producer credit means next to nothing. I just wanted to get an idea for down the road.
Thanks for the input guys.

Most bands really don't know the difference between a producer, mixer and engineer. Just tell them beforehand that when they work with you, you want the producer credit in the CD (along with your fee). Usually they'll say yes. At least I have never had anyone disagree with me.

Ever.

Since 1996 ... :)

i have a pretty thorough pre-made presentation to do with bands when i first meet them that explains the differences and identifies important terms so there are no misconceptions. i mean that's the way i do things but it may work for you if you really explain to them what the differences are so there is no confusion. when working with a more unestablished band you always hope that band makes it big because it's a good notch on the belt to be part of something at its genesis or early stages. realistically speaking i always see it as there has to be ONE person somewhere being a producer. choosing vocal takes, etc. that is all on the job of someone who has the final product in mind. i always viewed an engineer as someone who just takes care of technical stuff.

i've worked with bands where one person in the band has been the producer and he has been there for most of all the sessions and i've just engineered and they have said ok that's the take or sing it this way, that felt too fast, etc. etc.

the X figure that says those things and "calls the shots" or helps guide songs is the producer and more often than not bands will grant me the title of producer or sometimes shared co-producer with an individual in the band if not the whole band.

just the way i see it at least, hope it helps.