Where and how big should I cut the hole in my kick drum

SwambA

Processed Chicken
Apr 6, 2009
Clearwater, fl
Just got my 1st drum kit and wanting to know where and how big should i cut the hole in the kick head for micing in my studio?

In the studio without the front head?... Man, that's just wrong.

Why is that wrong? If you read the Acoustic Drums for Metal guide, Glenn routinely takes off the resonant head. Sure, he started putting it back on but he still got great sounds without it. In the "Making of" DVD that came with Lamb of God's Sacrament, you can see they aren't using resonant heads there either. Those are just a couple examples out of many and getting rid of that head just means there is one less thing to tune.

No reso head makes the drum quite a bit drier sounding, less sustain. You can lose out on a bit of sub bass aswell I think. There's certainly no rule that you HAVE to have a front head on though. Mind you I've never had a kick drum sound I've liked using a reso head without a hole.

kikdrum.png

No reso head makes the drum quite a bit drier sounding, less sustain. You can lose out on a bit of sub bass aswell I think. There's certainly no rule that you HAVE to have a front head on though. Mind you I've never had a kick drum sound I've liked using a reso head without a hole.

For metal, do you even want a lot of sustain though? You can still multi-mic it with a subkick to get those super low frequencies, but again, is that even something you really want in fast, dense music?

Certainly, if you don't like the sound with the reso head off, cut a hole in it. I'd follow Sloan's advice about how to cut it.

This.

The only issue I have encountered with not having reso head is that the stuffing in the kick will move off of the batter head, making it sound and feel different for the drummer, which makes them play shittier than they already do because they freak out about it.

But if you want to keep it on, I recommend putting it at 3 o'clock. I despise when drummers have it at 4, and hate when they have it at 5. 3 o'clock is perfect for when you have to stick a microphone in the kick, those little kick mic stands only go so low...

For metal, do you even want a lot of sustain though? You can still multi-mic it with a subkick to get those super low frequencies, but again, is that even something you really want in fast, dense music?

Certainly, if you don't like the sound with the reso head off, cut a hole in it. I'd follow Sloan's advice about how to cut it.

Doesn't necessarily have to be alot of sustain, just a little is sometimes nice. Kicks with no reso head can be VERY dead though. Just depends on what the music requires. I've had good results with both.

But if you want to keep it on, I recommend putting it at 3 o'clock. I despise when drummers have it at 4, and hate when they have it at 5. 3 o'clock is perfect for when you have to stick a microphone in the kick, those little kick mic stands only go so low...

This. I fucking hate when the port is almost on the floor. Having to rotate the head just takes more time.

3 o clock is perfect.

+1

only thing to add to that is dont cut it with scissors. buy an actual kick head cutter.

Kick head cutters work well.

But if you're looking to save some money:

Heat up the end of a metal coffee can over the stove and then put it right through head at the location you picked. It makes a perfect hole, and it melts the ends a bit helping to reduce cracks radiating from the center.

Heat up the end of a metal coffee can over the stove and then put it right through head at the location you picked. It makes a perfect hole, and it melts the ends a bit helping to reduce cracks radiating from the center.

+1. This method works really well, just don't burn yourself on the can

Also keep in mind that a hole larger than 8" is pretty much like having no resonant head on the drum.