Where do you get you metal news?

BlackRoseMetalHeart

Metal Mistress
Feb 4, 2006
Baltimore, MD - USA
www.myspace.com
I'm interested in knowing what web-zines or sites you visit or what magazines you read for you metal news?

Where do you go to find out about the bands you love?

Do you only visit bands' individual websites or are there news/review sites that you visit on a regular basis?

Why do you like those sites? The variety? A particular writer who contributes? The genres/sub-genres they focus on? What's good about the sites you get your metal news from?

Inquiring minds want to know ... at least my inquiring mind does. :heh:

SMNnews.com, Metal-Temple.com, Bravewords.com and Blabbermouth.net.

Once you guys have an official flyer I bet my fellow co-horts at Metal-Temple would do a banner swap with you.

Once you guys have an official flyer I bet my fellow co-horts at Metal-Temple would do a banner swap with you.
That would be awesome. As you may have seen from mine and Nathan's signatures, we now have a banner ad for this year's festival. Feel free to send me a PM. I'd love to be put in touch with any potential press contacts. Thanks for the support! :headbang:

Online, I get my metal news from Forums like this one, the ProgPower USA Forum, and MySpace. When I want to know what's going on in the metal world -- new releases, opinions, intros to new bands, etc. -- I can't beat the PPUSA Forum. That's where all breaking news comes from for me.

MySpace is the savior of music, in my opinion. I have learned more about what's going on in the world of music by spending a few hours running down rabbit holes on MySpace than I ever would or could on any other source. Spending time on a band's MySpace page following Friends of Friends of Friends is a great way to know what's going on. I've discovered great new bands, genres, hot countries for bands -- you name it -- using MySpace as my guide.

Offline, I read (religiously) Mojo, Classic Rock, and Uncut. British music magazines are brilliant. There's no finer source for music than Mojo and Classic Rock. They cover all types of rock/metal music including power metal, prog rock/metal, classic rock, folk rock, and everything in between. Their articles are long, in-depth, and full of British wit. In addition, I'll occasionally read Brave Words, although I find they don't seem to publish often enough, nor do I feel as satisfied when I read BWBK as I do when I read Classic Rock or Mojo. I even like the ads in Classic Rock and Mojo. I discover new bands, re-issued CDs, and whatnot. Truth be told, I often sit down with an issue of Mojo or Classic Rock and hear myself say out loud, "Wow" as I page through. Each issue is chock-full of great music news, reviews, and advertising.

In all cases, the author/writer of the information is irrelevant. I recognize some names more than others, sure. But it doesn't generally matter who's doing the reporting as long as what's being reported is of interest to me.

Bill