how do you find new bands?

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
This is alwasy an interesting topic. How do all of you find out about new bands?

-from message boards?
-browsing CD store shelves?
-word of mouth?
-various web sites?
-just going to any show to check out bands?
-by album cover alone?

Myself.....mostly from just browsing CD shelves. Plus reading over review sites too. Metal Archives is great for that. It is very rare that a band live will excite me to buy thier stuff on CD. Only a few bands have. I do have a great eye for buying CD's on an impulse urge. I have only gotten a few clunkers that way.

The thing I like about myspace is that they let you hear the songs before I buy a cd. I get a lot of requests from bands and I always take the time to check 'em all out. Also sometimes the bands have their cds for sale on their page and it comes directly from them (Chaoswave for example), you always know that the band is getting their $$$.

One thing I must mention is that the "new cd's" thread that Diabolik started has led me to check out some bands that I would otherwise never heard of, everytime I see a new post I check out all of the bands they purchased cds from, on myspace that is.

Sometimes it's through myspace, other times, word of mouth and friends. Being that I am a reviewer for a couple of publications, I can go through that route, which is nice when figuring out what to buy and what not to buy.

Myspace, forums (Progpower, Powerfest, Heathen Crusade, etc..), Blabbermouth, Metal Reviews, Metal Observer, Metal Covenant, Metal Maniacs, BWBK, sometimes a blind buy at a festival or a store like Best Buy.

I usually find out about bands from talking to other people who like similar genres to me, keeping an eye on Blabbermouth, and sometimes just from browsing CDs on the shelves or hearing something on internet radio (where old school stuff and decent music still gets played).

So many different ways, such as:

- People's raving on various forums
- Searching for certain bands on eBay, and then seeing listings for discs of other bands who reference the band I was searching for
- Metal Archives
- From a CD trade

Used to be from going to record stores, but most of my discs these days come from trading and ordering online

I usually hear about bands from forums, word of mouth, or occasionally seeing a band at a show. Pandora is also a pretty good way to find new music.

These days I don't...I have way to much old music that gets ignored due to lack of time in a day to listen so I've been spending a lot of time with that music.

Myspace bands have really gotten better. Sure there are still some poopers out there but there are some really top notch acts on the site.

When I get friend requests, I make an effort to listen to each band that sends me a request.