How Did You/How Do You Discover Your Favorite Bands?

Matt

Dec 10, 2005
Saint Louis
I found about Bal-Sagoth when I bought a sampler with some songs off Atlantis Ascendent a few years back. Most of the time I downloaded samples of bands and then bought the disks, or have bought things off recs from the (usually) reliable people here.

So how do you guys find them?

My ex bf has told me about some of them :erk: :rolleyes:; have seen the video on the TV, and then searched for the more info about them on net; many of my faverote ones I've descovered here on GMD, so - thank you, guys =)

Agalloch and Pain of Salvation, everyone on gameFAQs had their circle jerks around the bands and I was interested based on how many people liked them ... after a year of trying to get into Agalloch, and no time after with Pain of Salvation I have my two favorite bands.

Belenos, simple as reading KTB's reviews on M-A.

Primordial, checked them out about 6-7 months back because of them constantly being mentioned here, then just now got reallly into them about a month ago.

dredg, a gamefaqs friend and Kevin P. from G4 mentioning them got me to listen to them.

Blind purchases (Unleashed, Sacramentum, Ildjarn, Dark Tribe), seeing the name and thinking it sounds cool (Deathspell Omega, Graveland), recommendations from tasteful people (Miasma, Beherit, Demigod, The Chasm), reading reviews and browsing bands from certain scenes that I tend to like (countless bands).

I had seen Ulver's name many times when listening to bm bands awhile back, but never looked too much into them. Then I decided to one day and got hooked

Well take Slayer for example... back in the days before the internet (or before it was known to me anyway!).... I just saw people wearing these cool looking Slayer shirts and I heard about them from people and read about them in magazines. So I got some of their music, loved it and they remain one of my favs to this day.

I dont have just one favorite band, ill list a few of my top ten.

Slayer- My friend gave me Reign in Blood and Seasons in the Abyss telling me to listen to it like a billion times. I put it in my CD player and did, the rest is history.

Children of Bodom- After hearing all the talk about them I Downloaded Follow the Reaper to sample (I bought the CD later) and loved it. With my liking of Speed, Power, and just plain catchy metal, I instantly fell in love.

Dragonforce- Before my awarness of the genre Power Metal, I was walking down the hallway at school and friend of mine came up and told me to listen to this band call Dragonforce. I listened to about 30 seconds and it perked up my interest. I got samples, and thought the music was amazing, I eventualy got their CDs and even saw them in concert.

Nile- I was forced to go by some of my friends to one of their concerts (with Hypocrisy and Decapiated; both are some of my favorite bands as well). I thought they did a kick ass show so I got some of their CDs. No regrets.

New bands... well mainly from messageboards or my little internet metalhead friends like swizzletits and my friend Chris. Then I use their ftp's to download stuff. :|