How Did You/How Do You Discover Your Favorite Bands?

Forums and reading comments on extreme subgenres on places to start. I heard of Morbid Angel and quickly sampled them on Amazon and listened to them on Windows Media Player. I heard of Emperor on a boxing forum of all places and quickly fell in love with their samples on Amazon. lol. I then got INTE and it's my favorite black metal CD I have.

Messageboards. And actually sometimes I use myspace and just click on the band's friend bands, but that's pretty hit-and-miss, it being myspace and all.

Favorite band discoveries:

Blind Guardian: music video on friend's My Space page and a sample of their live album

Death: recommendations from Amazon and research on Wikipedia and band's website

Children of Bodom: heard a song on personalized Yahoo! Launchcast Radio and did some research/sampling on various websites

Symphony X: Amazon recommendations

Satyricon: recommendations from Ultimate Metal users and research

Just to name a few.

Simple. I just type 'Greatest Power Metal bands' or 'Greatest Death Metal bands', etc. on Google, then I get a nice list in some site. I check them out one by one.

I heard about most of my favorite bands on message boards like this one. I think I saw Susperia talking about Reverend Bizarre some time ago and I downloaded their stuff and loved it, and some people here were raving about Deathspell Omega a while back. Of course many of the bands that are recently becoming favorites of mine have been ones I've seen Necuratul recommend, like Candlemass and Solstice, among others.

soilwork i found on the musicchoice metal channel, i heard the song distance from stabbing the drama...i explored more and found more of their stuff and that led me to bands that sound even remotely like them like scar symmetry

dismember i got into after i joined this forum...i was a huge n00b when i joined and thought i could safely post about coheed and cambria...i looked at the rec. thread and the thread where you talk about music you like and found a lot about dismember because the god that never was was about to come out at the time...i listened to some stuff from LAEFS, Death Metal, WICL, and Indecent and Obscene and i fell in love with the band

other bands have similar stories

I discovered Slayer while sitting on this bench :headbang:
slayer_bench-1.jpg

:lol: