How Did You/How Do You Discover Your Favorite Bands?

I heard about most of my favorite bands on message boards like this one. I think I saw Susperia talking about Reverend Bizarre some time ago and I downloaded their stuff and loved it, and some people here were raving about Deathspell Omega a while back. Of course many of the bands that are recently becoming favorites of mine have been ones I've seen Necuratul recommend, like Candlemass and Solstice, among others.

\m/\m/

The internet, mainly forums. Most of the bands I listen to now are due to various metal forums.

http://metal-archives.com/browseG.php?g=folk

I found a few bands through this site that has virtually every sub-genre of Metal and lists a butt-load of bands of each one. What's nice is they give short descriptions of each band like "melodic Death with symphonic Black influence," so you immediately find what you're looking for. The problem is you have to dig deep to find bands, which have albums that are actually findable. Most of them just have a demo out and will never be picked up.

Other than that, I'm familiar with most bands through Amazon, metal forums, and through other bands. Recently, I've been going to recording companies, which is probably the best strategy.

I discovered my favorite metal bands from MTV.com and VH-1.

I really wish metal-archives would get rid of all the bands they have that have not released a full length album

What?! I find loads of new bands on there that have only released demos so far, Altoriu Seseliai are a prime example, their two demos are fantastic releases and I wouldn't have heard of them if M-A didn't allow bands without full lengths.

My favorite band is death. I was never into real metal until a little under a year now. My brothers friend game me a few cds and spirit crusher was i mix. I have so far only bought indiviual thought patten and i really want to buy S.O.P. but if anyone can recommend any other death albums i should get, i would really appreciate it.

Opeth - got into them through hearing an edit of The Drapery Falls on a Metal Hammer CD, then going out and buying the album.
Katatonia - got into them through hearing 'Passing Bird' on the very same Metal Hammer CD.
Napalm Death - saw a video for, I think, 'Incinerator' on MTV 2.
Nasum - saw a review for Human 2.0 in (surprise, surprise) Metal Hammer likening them to Napalm Death and Carcass, ran out to buy the album.

Most of the other bands I like I've gotten into through recommendations on this and the RC forums, or through trawling sites like Audiogalaxy (when it was still up), Pandora, Allmusic and MP3.com for stuff in the same genre as bands I'd already heard and loved.

I first listened to Bathory back in '89 or something, after blindly buying "Blood Fire Death", 'cause of the wicked cool album cover, but, for some reason, I wasn't able to fully appreciate them until five or so years later. Fortunately, I kept at it, due to immense appreciation all my friends had for them, and I really loved the concepts and lyrics.