How do you attract bands to workin w/ you

Other studios or midi. Both have their cons but it seems it's the only option most of the times.

Myspace myspace myspace. I made one and added a ton of local bands. Then just start chatting.

I started out going from practice space to practice space, then recording in my house, then this year moved to renting out a studio for tracking.

also, do you not master songs for free as a demo of your work? i seem to remember you mentioning that in another thread. also people do free reamping to advertise their services, does that mean their work is worthless??

not trying to rip on you, or start a geeky messageboard debate, just clarifying.

I understand you aren't ripping on me....and I'm not ripping on you either. Just making conversation. :)

I offer mastering samples, but it's nothing that is useable by the band to make money off of. It's usually an a/b sample. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but 90% of the samples that I provide lead to gaining the business of that band. I also set up recall sheets and save any plugin settings that I use on their sample material so I already have a template set up to work from if/when they choose to work with me. So it technically isn't free. I do benefit from it.

On the other hand, putting hours of labor into recording a band and providing them with something that they will mostly likely be selling...it doesn't make sense. There isn't an exchange being made. Even if the "engineer" doesn't have years of experience the band still used the time of the person recording the project and is walking away with a product that they will use for their personal gain. Guitar Center doesn't give guitars away for free to gain business and sales experience, but they do give pretty good deals that are hard to pass up.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

yeah, its a bit of a mixed bag. i definitely would not do a full length album for free. but i would record a song for free. it worked for me, although i did good work for that particular band, because i had practice recording my own songs.
basically what ever works, works.

I've been trying to think of ways to basically promote my self and to attract bands to coming to record with me? I'm really just getting started with a few projects done and my gear list isn't huge. I've done some free recordings but i really want to step away from that to move on to the next step.

How do you guys do it?

I've noticed the social networking sites like myspace and bebo are flooded with people promoting their studio and no one gives the spam a 2nd thought.

Well as some people have mentioned networking helps PM me with samples of some work and i can recomend you to some bands if im to busy to take them as im getting a bit of work down here in kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford at the moment. Your that guy from limerick right? And if you get busy maybe you can throw some bands my way.

Thanks for the responses to my question.

I currently do a lot of the drum tracking in other studios (or their practice spaces..) so I'm glad other people do that too!

I usually do the guitars / bass and vocals at my house although guitars can be done within rehearsal spaces if they want them uber loud. Overdubs tend to be done at my flat though!

I basically get mine from word of mouth for the first few months because Of the first EP I did that I took my time on. Since November last year I've had around 3 albums and 2 EP's and a bunch of random demo's. Still working on my website, logo and other online promo during this time.
All you have to do is be reliable, affordable and leave a good impression. Sometimes having a good rep amongst the music community helps too, in other words if you play an instrument get friggin' good at it, that way there's more ways/chance of being noticed

other ways land one hot band with super tight members and good gear, charge them next to nothing and make it sound as good as you can. Or a band that really knows how to promote themselves. Chances are they'll advertise where they're recording and your name gets out.

Sorry if I said something someone else has already said, I didn't have time to read the entire thread.

I'm also a "mobile" guy, tracking instruments in rehearsal spaces, vocals at home usually.

What helped me was the fact that I had a band, so was in the local "scene" already. As people heard our recorded material, it snowballed from there. I've stalled as of late and haven't had a project since May, which I'm bummed about, but I was non stop from January to May, so I don't feel too bad. In the meantime, I've taken on re-mixing stuff for bands for free just to gain some practice and downloading the odd "remix" on here (like Splat's most recent). I've been approached by a lot of bands also but once they get a price, I don't always hear back, or I get the "we can't afford it, but we like your work". There was a band I really wanted to work with, and they were great musicians, but they went with a guy that was a little less money with a real studio, but the quality was not as good (what they told me). But, I won't compromise my time for less money. I record for fun, and I have a blast usually, but I'd rather record what I want when I want than record bands for nothing or next to it. Money is always the issue around here, bands don't (or can't) pay enough to get quality recordings.

It comes down to what you'll do to get work, and how much the work means to you. If you want to be an AE full time, then I think you may have to do a bit more to get it out there than others. For me, I'd love to be an AE full time, but I have a good job I really like, so I couldn't care less to do it for free to get my name "out there". I want paid!

I'm moving into the freelance way myself. I'm starting to track drums at subcat and do everything else at my home. Drums are really a bitch anyhow and subcat has nicer shit to work with (senn MD421, sm57s, yammy subkick, sure sm81, 441, akg 414, KM184, nice preamps etc. etc.) and a bigger space to work within.

Plus their kit sounds killer.

I offered to record an album for a friend for free over the course of a few weeks.

16 months later I'm finally done!

No more free anything from now on!!
+1
I accepted to record guitars for a band i used to play in 10 years ago.
The guy who owns the studio asked me if i could help him for he has no or little experience with heavy metal bands.Budget for a recording was so low that i accepted to track guitars for 10 songs for 100 euros.I usually get paid min.50 euros or more for doing a live sound.So its two days of work for me when I`m doing live sound.And here I am like you 16 months later but not done.Why you might wonder?Well thats a story for a thread i`ll post in a time to come.It might require words(curses mainly ) that are not in my vocabulary right now.
I did some live sound for free in past with shitty equipment,shitty musicians in shitty venues and it did not bring me more gigs.People i did it for didn`t even apprecieted it.
So no more doing favours,doing a gig for free with shitty equipment,shitty musicians in shitty venues(i actually did a gig for a free but with good equipment,really good musicians that resulted in a call from a local sound rental company that i work often for as a a foh or monitor engineer.)Like someone said its a matter of luck(If you pick right guys to record for free)

I've been using this for quite some time now:
Band%20Attractor.jpg

free is a horrible idea, charge something...10 dollars an hour...$20 a song if ya have to. (and I hate per song pricing)

There have been a few guys around me that have done the free recording thing, and it lasts a month or two, and they are out. The engineer is broke, and the artists realizes, maybe I do get what I pay for.:lol: Its just not a good idea for anybody.

Produce a really good recording. And make sure that band helps promote you well. Tell them thats part of the deal. Everytime I release a really good album, I get literally handfulls of myspace messages about recording time.

Word of mouth is probably the most important part for sub quarter million dollar studios.

I used to be mobile before i got a room at my in-law's garage for recording.

i still remember that i did give some bands a free recording session. My intention why i wanna do that was because i wanted to experiment what was recorded that day. i achieved horrible mixing and mastering was so weak! But for these guinea pigs, they like it and post their songs on myspace and other shits!!

It was back then until i discovered this god damn forum!! it teaches me a lot about professional-home recording and also in contact with people i never even expected to give out their tips, techniques and skills to share with!

Although im not a certified sound engineer and have a poor hearing on my left ear, nobody in my neighbourhood can talk bullshit to me again on how to press the 'record' key!! And now, they have to pay me $$$ :headbang:

In my opinion, its ok to give a free session if u r new to ur business and not sure how things gonna turn out in the end. Otherwise, u may have a big loss in terms of time and money :cool:

We've gotten by entirely on word of mouth since day one. We want to step up somewhat though. Get more serious projects and less teenage deathcore kids that want to track 8 songs in two days (SHYEAH! RIGHT!).