How do you get credited?

jeid

Terribad
Mar 9, 2009
Scotland
I've recorded a band a couple of times this year, 3 tracks. 1 earlier in the year and 2 around August time. They sound quite different and I've only been told today that they're releasing all three tracks as an EP.

I wasn't told at mix time otherwise I'd have spent more time getting similar sounds.

They've paid for their artwork now and I think they send it away tomorrow.

I'm not 100% certain, so I could be getting my knickers in a twist over nothing, but I reckon they've just said that I produced it. Obviously since it sounds quite a bit different, I'd prefer it to say "track 1 recorded May 10 tracks 2/3 recorded Aug 10" somewhere. I've never really had much interaction with them since the recording though until the guy asked me to send the masters again tonight.

When my band released our EP I asked the producer and Lasse how they wanted credited as I wanted to make sure I credited them correctly.

How do you guys deal with this? Do you just tell the band how you'd like to be credited on a release or do you leave it in their hands?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Make a standard form paper that they sign before working with you. It details how things are gonna be, how you get credited, how you get royalties if you co-write, etc. etc.

I've just learned the hard way again that if you don't do it, you'll get (intentionally or unintentionally) screwed. One out of maybe 20 times I didn't have them fill out the paper and bam, I'm all of a sudden a "lyrical arranger" on 2 songs instead of a co-writer on 8 songs ...

Make a standard form paper that they sign before working with you. It details how things are gonna be, how you get credited, how you get royalties if you co-write, etc. etc.

I've just learned the hard way again that if you don't do it, you'll get (intentionally or unintentionally) screwed. One out of maybe 20 times I didn't have them fill out the paper and bam, I'm all of a sudden a "lyrical arranger" on 2 songs instead of a co-writer on 8 songs ...

Criteria, please. How does this form look?