Question regarding producing an album, sort of.

Ionei

Oct 13, 2009
Latrobe Valley, Australia.
Hey,

So a band recently asked me to do all the keys/effects etc. for their album, also write an intro for the album, and now the drummer is asking me to help with drum arrangements.
So, my question is, where do I stand in all this?
What is my position?
I don't know exactly how to define what I'm doing.

Also, what should I expect to be credited for and what should I expect on the back of the album when it is released?
What would YOU expect.

I have know the guys quite some time and I would say I am friends with a few of the members.
I am NOT charging them for my services.
But depending on the success of the album it is a very good opportunity for me to get my name out, and maybe atleast a few people will be aware of my existence.

I am quite confused how to approach this :erk:

If anyone could help me or something it'd be great!

Cheers,
Ionei.

if you're contributing as a guest musician by writing / performing all the keyboard shit then you should be credited just as that ... guest musician - all keys by ******* and given proper writing credit for the intro piece.

Helping with drum arrangements is pretty cut and dry as well .. you could push for something like an extra line of credit ... drums arrangements by ***** & *****

producing would be more if you're having an impact on the actual outcome of the majority of songs themselves. Have you helped writing some new parts, changed parts around to make the songs flow better, contributed ideas to new vocal ideas that have a larger impact on the final result of the song, stuff like that

If I were you I would put it at this. Say you're happy to be involved but you just want to be given co-producer credit aside from whatever mix/engineering credit you're given. Otherwise make sure to be given the extra line of credits specifying what material you wrote / co-wrote or arranged and your performance