How to find more bands to record

Feb 8, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
There are always people on this board asking how to find bands to record. I'm in the process of doing this and this is the best way I've found.

Step by step instruction list for building your recording clients list:

1)record one of your friends bands
2)do a bad ass job
3)get those guys to tell other people about you
4)go to their shows once the recording is finished
5)meet other bands they are friends with at the shows
6)become friends with some new bands
7)repeat

see the problem that I run into is (believe it or not) most bands I know are only friends with the people in the band lol. Essentially that's their core group and most other bands are just "competition". Another problem I've run into is that bands think of their engineer as their own strictly based on the fact that they don't want their competition to sound as good (or even remotely similar) as them. It's a strange state of affairs.

So I've come to the conclusion you can't fully rely on the bands you've worked with to help spread the word.

I hate to say it but myspace helps a lot. Get a friend adder and add bands from your area.

Also, a referral program of some sort can really help. If you have a band want to come in and they say xkillerbandx sent them, give xkillerbandx some money off their next recording.

But generally, paladin shredders method works for me too. Finding really good, really skilled bands is much harder.

see the problem that I run into is (believe it or not) most bands I know are only friends with the people in the band lol. Essentially that's their core group and most other bands are just "competition". Another problem I've run into is that bands think of their engineer as their own strictly based on the fact that they don't want their competition to sound as good (or even remotely similar) as them. It's a strange state of affairs.

So I've come to the conclusion you can't fully rely on the bands you've worked with to help spread the word.

I've found this to be true a bit.

It must be how I interact with the bands I record, but pretty much all of them I end up being really cool with. Once we're finished I'll just say, "hey, if you guys know anyone that needs recording just tell them about me." which they will usually say "no problem!" Of course later on the band is going to go show the cd to their friends, and if any of their friends are in a band they will ask where they recorded it.

But shows I've found are the best way to network with other bands. I'll go to one of the bands shows and get 3 or 4 different guys from bands come up to me and tell me how awesome the recording sounds of the band I just recorded, and they'll talk about their band wanting to record and so on.

Myspace is good, but you definitely make more of an impression if you meet people face to face at someplace cool where they like to hang out.

Get on MySpace, find local bands, scour their top 8 for other local bands, find promoters from the top 8's, and message all of them. I've been lining up my entire summer this way with pretty solid results... you just gotta stick to it.

I can also imagine that going to local shows and handing out a business card to every band there would be a good way to go about advertising!