Finding bands to record

Sep 20, 2005
Hello everyone, I'm just now feeling comfortable enough in my ability to record/mix and such in my home studio that I'd like to get some experience recording bands other then my own. So what I need to do is find some young bands who would be interested in a free demo. I know there must be a ton of them but I'm not sure how to go about finding them. I have found some through things like myspace and just friends of friends, but there are probably other ways. Any tips?

Thanks! :worship:

ArtisanBass said:
Post something at a music store. Or there's always people going to see bands who have bands.

That's a good idea! Thanks! I forgot to mention my bands playing a show with some 50 other bands and I'm gonna make cards to hand out. :D Maybe one band out of 50 will be interested. :lol:

Tachy said:
Hey, I'm interested in a free demo, but were do you live??:erk: :erk: :erk:

Massachusetts US. :erk: We'll have to get together if I ever get to Italy! :)

If you live in a city with a decent live scene go to a few shows and ask a few bands. Or post in CD stores, guitar shops, maybe craigslist...
You said you live in Mass... I'm sure Boston has a decent live scene, but not sure how close you are to Boston...

Hell, maybe the Freebies section of your local newspaper :D

I'd post little paperads in clubs and music stores with the words "DO YOU WANT A FREE RECORDING SESSION??" in big letters. Then I would explain that you are starting to feel comfortable recording and need some practice ... or something along that vein. Most importantly: put down an URL where people can download 2-3 mp3s of stuff you produced cause that will give them an instant idea of what you can or can't do. This is often a lot better than putting down a phone number cause some people are hesitant to call.

I have found that where I am there are a ton bands looking to get stuff recorded whether they are super serious or just starting out. You don't even necessarily have to do it for free. Go to a local show and ask the bands playing if any of them might be interested... Thats how I started and over the time I've been recording I've had sufficient business just by word of mouth... Just make sure to get your name in their demo's credits and all of their friend's bands will flock to you.

what Marty said , i started out by recording my own band and people liked it so they started contacting me and my client spread my name around....

heaps also when u release ur own cd or another band's cd to get them to mention u in their newspaper articles etc

Razorjack said:
Find one band with a shit demo and promise them the best sound ever, don't be afraid to talk yourself up!! Blag a few jobs and actually deliver the goods and bands will be fighting for your time.

I second that opinion. If you can deliver a quality product, word of mouth will do more for you than any amount of money spent on advertising.

That, & drop the "1337" tag. You want to be taken seriously :heh: :heh:

-0z-

Wow, thanks guys! Great suggestions. I'll definatly try them.

Let's see... what to put intstead of the unprofessional 1337... How about, Xtr33m Hxx0r? :D

xtranscendedx said:

Cool! Are you in a band? Maybe I could come to a show sometime.