Where Eagles Dare new thread

Well...Here is what I did...which is what i think you wanted.

1. Took all 3 sample .mp3 files you gave me.
2. Converted them to .wav with my converter
3. Imported all three into the working mix I had which I used to make the mix you heard on myplay
4. Compared sample tracks to full version I had. Isolated tracks so I only heard sample bass track and the bass track I used in the mix (for example)
5. Verified each sample track was completely in-tune with my tracks.

This is what you wanted right? So does this mean we start re-recording with the tune note up front to start with? That would be cool..comparing our track with the original..our guitar tones were too muddy anyway..too much low-end mid.

Yeah, rabies, that's what I wanted you to do. Since they were all in tune, that's means that I don't have another quirky pc problem to work out.:loco:

I can do my guitar track first, and then post a mix for constantine to do his bass. I can put the tuning example on a seperate mp3, so that the original file doesn't have to be edited to remove the unwanted note(s).

Is this ok with everyone?

Also: I agree about our tones. I'm going to move the mic away from my amp more to get rid of some of that when I record this time.

Just put your tuning at the end of the track. Easier to chop off. Right? I hate the thought of havign to download another file for tuning. =( ..sorry

Hyde what kind of guitar do you use again/?

The thing is that it takes me forever to upload long files, and sometimes I get to about 99% and get a nasty little message about my session being over, or I sometimes get a bad connection and have problems uploading. That's why I wanted to put the tuning in a seperate file. Every second of added time increases the chances that I'll have problems.
That being said, I'll put the tuning at the end of the file and see what happens. I wouldn't want you to have to use up all of your time with that fast connection you have downloading an extra file.:p :)

My guitar is a very inexpensive strat copy made by Yamaha.
Why do you ask?

Thats right! That fat and fast connection to the Internet is busy doing all kinds of other things! :heh:

I hear your point..either way is fine. What kind of connection do you have. I hope its better than a modem...

Why ask about the guitar...I dunno...Guitar player thing I guess. I know what all the other guitar players here use..even Jim...I just realized while posting and talking about Eagles tones that I dunno what kinda eq you are using to record..

Yeah, it's a modem.:(

I'm not using a lot of eq. I'm using a little Marshall amp, along with my Ada tube preamp. The speaker is specially designed to give that extra bright sound. The mic I'm using is a Shure SM58. If I close mic the speaker, the proximity effect gives me a little more low mid sound than I want.
I'm going to back the mic away a little when I record next time to limit that.
I made up a little cab simulator thingy, with a small speaker inside an enclosure that is quiet enough for late night recording but then I have to use some serious eq curves to try and get it to sound ok.
For now, I've gone back to using the little Marshall because of my recent discovery that I could hook my Ada preamp up to it.

The new reference track is up.

The tuning is at the end, a low E.

I didn't do any production on it, it's just me and the drums dry.:)

Downloaded it. Sounds good.

..can I request a favor? Can you post just your guitar track? I'd like the ability to pan your guitar part left or right during recording to make sure I get acomplimentary tone...

thanks man.

I think it's a much better sounding track, and I'm a lot happier with the way I played on this one too.:)

I just posted it. Grab the tuning note off of the other one because it's not on this one. I thought I'd save some time uploading by leaving it off.....I didn't save any time though because it still made the file as long as the complete song with the tuning note added. Oh, well. My mistake.

Hi Hyde,

I did a test track this weekend..altering my tuning some..I think I matched (but then I thought I was in tune on take1). Please check the track and see if its ok. This is not my final track..I am rather sloppy here and there..just want to make sure the tuning is ok....I tuned the guit kinda funky.

btw..I noticed towards the end that you started 'slowing down' and falling behind MM's fast pace...I went ahead and kept up with MM. Its not bad...more of a 'feel' issue really.

Lemme know.

I'll download it and check it out.

About me getting a little lost at the end....
Yeah, I hear that too, and it pisses me off. I don't know why it's like that because when I recorded I thought I was on time.

Maybe I should do it over?

Hey, rabies, what did you name the file?

Ok, I checked the tuning and it seems fine. I'm a little concerned by you saying that you tuned kinda "funky" though. LOL.

well..I had to match it by ear to an extent. I tuned my low E string to a tuner. I noticed however, that when I played the Epower chord at Fret7 position (root on A string) that it sounded sharp....so...I freted the E on the A string at the 7th fret and tuned that string to that note.....which made the open A a bit flat...same with the D string (tuned at fret9).

..thats how it was tuned. Needless to say I think I should find a good guitar tech and have him look at the intonation on my guitar. I've needed it for a while..I get a light buzz on some frets..and others are out of tune? Kinda pissing me off...I guess thats what I get for not caring for a guitar that is over 10 years old now.

I understand about guitar problems. If I ever own an instrument that plays right, stays in tune, and doesn't have several miscellaneous buzzes and rattles, I won't know what to do!

Just in case you don't know, and want to check....

(starting with the high E)
Hit the harmonic at the 12th fret and tune it to your tuner. Then play the note at the 12th fret. If it's sharp, you need to move your bridge saddle (thingy adjustment whatever) back. If it's flat you need to move it forward.

You can then hit the harmonic at the 17th fret, and compare it to the note at the 17th fret to really make sure it's right.

Just repeat for each string.

Hyde,

I'll have to re-visit that. I've done it in the past..have not checked recently. I typically tune to the 12th fret harmonic.

BUT...I notice that around 7-9 my guitar tends to go sharp..while the fretted 12th position is typically fine....and again it starts doing funky things around frets 17 and up.

Does this mean I am fretting too hard? Bad frets? Any knowledge you can share here? I can what about buzz? That is a tough one. Any tips on making sure the neck is 100% straight? I don't wanna fuss with the truss rod by just randomly making changes and 'eyeballing' the next to see if its straight.

This is good stuff..maybe I should read some guitar web sites before dumping money on a tech..I'd hate to waste money if its stuff I can do myself...although I hear if you need to re-fret your guitar, its worth the money to let a pro do it.

There are a bunch of things you can check. You probably don't want your neck to be totally straight. Usually it will play better with a little bit of relief. If it's totally straight you will probably have to keep the action pretty high to avoid a lot of buzzing.
A simple check to see if your neck has a little relief is to fret the g string at the first fret with your left hand (or use a capo), and then with your right hand fret the g string at the last fret (use your pinky). Then with your index finger on your right hand reach toward the middle of the neck and touch the string. If it moves before hitting the top of the frets then you have some relief.

If you get a wierd wobbly sound on some notes (even with new strings) then you might need to have your frets leveled and recrowned.

Some other things you might consider...
Changing strings can screw up intonation, even if you use the same brand and guage. Changing to a different guage of string also changes the intonation and the truss rod and action usually should be reset. Using different tunings, such as dropped d, can cause problems too unless you set up your guitar for that tuning.

I have an inexpensive guitar so I'm not scared to work on it myself, but if I owned a more expensive guitar, I think I would leave it alone and find a good tech.
You probably won't hurt your guitar by doing minor truss rod adjustments or setting the intonation and action yourself. Just don't overtighten the truss rod!! :)