Where Eagles Dare!

Man Rabs, that would be cool! :)

I've often wondered if someday we might be able to stage an IMG "convention" together somewhere. :) It would be a blast to all sit around jammin and recording and shootin' the shit (so to speak). :D

I certainly did notice that you nailed the crunchy mids that are so characteristic of that album. I just was thinking that you might want to widen the bottom end of those mids a bit to give the guitars a little heaviness too. Very nitpicky though, as I'd agree with Meds that the guitar sounds are pretty faithful to the original and also mesh together well.

Hmmm... I use that word "space' a lot when describing mixes, don't I? :lol: Probably too much, and sometimes I mean different things when I say it. :p

What I mean in this instance is that it sounds to me that there's a bit of "distance" between the instruments. If you could imagine the left/right - front/back spectrum of the music, then imagine how much of each segment of the spectrum each instrument is filling up. I don't just mean "fill up" as level, I also mean it as frequencies.

For example, let's say you pan a guitar sound 80% left. That's usually pretty standard, but it depends on the guitar sound itself. If it's a very thin, dry sort of tone, 80% may be too far, and the track will sound "isolated" in relationship to the other instruments. If it's a thin tone like that, it may only occupy 10% of the sonic spectrum. So while it's panned 80% left, it's only occupying 10% of the spectrum, so you can imagine it residing in the 85%-75% "space". Now, on the other extreme, that same guitar tone may be a thick, lush, wet tone with lots of overtones in it. In that case, it may occupy (have overtones in) 25% of the sonic spectrum. So, when panned to 80% left, it's actually occupying 100% - 55%. A huge difference in "space".

Then of course the same idea applies to front/back, reverb space. If one instrument in a song has a large reverb on it, and another is dry, then the first instrument will be in the "back" and the second will sound in the "front". The amount of reverb (and depth and other parameters) will dictate how much of the front/back space is occupied.

And lastly, I always look at the sonic spectrum in relation to front/back and left/right space. Every instrument has overtones in thier timbre that stretch out in either direction, highs and lows (and gaps in the mids as well). Seperation or "space" can also refer to the distances between each respective instrument's overtones when laid aside another. For example a bass sound like Harris's has a "rumbly" bottom end that stretches pretty far away from his mids, and also some very "clippy" highs that do the same. So his bass sound is large, it occupies a lot of "space".

It's hard to do (good engineers make a lot of money mastering this stuff), and every track, album, or band will have different goals in this respect, but managing the "spaces" in a mix is essential, I think. There's no tried and true method for it, again because every situation calls for something different.

In the case of your mix, I'd say that your rhythm guitars are tight with one another, but could use to stretch out thier bottom end just a bit to reach near the upper frequencies of Constantine's track. His bass track isn't extending very high, so it would make the track more solid to bring the range of the guitars down towards the bass a bit. It's pretty close, but I'm hearing a bit of a gap between the top end of the bass and the bottom end of the guitars.

Now, that might not be a problem if your drum track was filling that gap, but it's not. If I had to guess, I'd say that the drum track is probably your challenge in this one. It's sounding a bit thin, and not filling out like it could. It's got gaps in it's frequency spectrum, and isn't occupying much "space". ( If I were in a studio I might try an acoustic environment simulator on it, or even a BBE sonci maximizer to see if it might be able to boost and cut the drum track's spectrum to even it out some, but alas...;))

Anyway, that's probably more explaination than you wanted! :lol:

But to sum up how I'm hearing it, I'd say that there's no way to extend the highs on the bass track without re-recording, so maybe bring the bottom end of the guitars down to meet it. If you can do that, I'd say that the three guitars would be right on the money.

The drum track is going to be more difficult, for the reasons I mentioned above. Medsy mentioned that the snare sounds "shrill" and I'd agree, but I think it's just sounding "isolated" because it's the only thing occupying that part of the spectrum right now. The vocals might help push the snare back deeper into the mix when they're added. :)

I'd just try to identify which segments of the frequency spectrum are too "empty" and try to fill them up. It would solidify the overall track, and make it sound more like one band rather than five instruments.

Well, I hope that's understandable. :lol: That's hard to explain like this. I'd also say too that if you asked ten different people that same question, you'd get ten different answers. None, including my view of it are exactly correct. There is no one answer, but that's just how I look at it. I'd mention again that this is hard to accomplish, and in my hands it may be no better as I'm not Martin Birch either. :lol:

Whew! :)

:yow:

What a post! Thanks for taking the time. I understand where you are coming from now..and I will keep it all under consideration when I do mix 2.

It is my wish that one day, we can sit over a mix board, and you can explain this to me as we make audible changes. That is really what is missing here..the ability to make a change and point it out right then and there. 'See? Hear that? That is what I mean by moving a track to the front'...yadda yadda.

Where do I get an 'acoustic environment simulator'? Sounds cool!

Originally posted by rabies
:yow:

What a post! Thanks for taking the time. I understand where you are coming from now..and I will keep it all under consideration when I do mix 2.

It is my wish that one day, we can sit over a mix board, and you can explain this to me as we make audible changes. That is really what is missing here..the ability to make a change and point it out right then and there. 'See? Hear that? That is what I mean by moving a track to the front'...yadda yadda.

Where do I get an 'acoustic environment simulator'? Sounds cool!

:lol: I'd better have Martin Birch next to me to explain to me first! :lol:

It's the coolest thing about mixing/producing/engineering: There's a million ways to do it that are all cool. :)

I've seen plug-ins that claim to work like acoustic environmental simulators, but I've never seen one that really worked.

There are numerous rackmount units available, with a wide range of features, some only clean up and broaden the frequency spectrum, others include parameters that will emulate different "rooms" from a soaring cathedral to a small room with heavy drapes. The most widely used one is probably the BBE sonic maximizer. It basically takes the spectrum of frequencies and knocks out certain ones, and boosts or adds "sparkle" and "presence" to others. I'm not sure what algorythms that unit uses, but it unquestionably works. No good soundman would get caught without one(or five). Next time you're at a show, check out the soundman's rack and you'll see one or two in there most likely. Years ago BBE also made a pedal unit of it (I had one, it was cool), but I'm not sure if they still do. Again, there are other types and manufacturers too.

I hope that novel I typed made at least some sense. Like I said, it's very hard to describe. :)

Mix #2 up.

Lemme know what you guys think. I spent mucho time making the drums sound better(?) and trying to work with the bass. I also tried adding more bottem end to the guits to fill in the frequency gap discussed above, but that ended up making the guitars sound mushy..so I backed out.

Let me know.

I am working on a version with 7ths vocals now. There is much work to be done! :D

here I am:)

Sorry it took soooooo long for me to get to this post.

I love the sound over all. The gits and bass mix very well together.
Rabs.....where did you get the gunfire effect? I love it!

The drums....ahh yes the drums. Well I think I'll take the heat for the wacky drum sound. I cant even hear the kick drum in the latest mix, but like i said, I think I should have noticed that when I did the track. Over all the drums are a bit low in the mix, or the compression just burried them, either way Rabs, you did a great job here man, next track I'll be sure to get the levels better

oh one more thing,,,where was my Flub?
:)

Hey MM! Glad to see yer still posting! ;)

I got the gunfire effect from that site EC pointed out...I think it was findsounds.com or something. I am glad you liked it. I also have a B52 bomber flying by right to left in the mix too... several times...I guess nobody has noticed. But that is good, I wanted it to be low key. You can definately hear it with headphones. In fact, I thought it may have been too loud.

I can try mix 3 with the drums up some. They could stand to be raised about 1db or so. The problem I had with your kick drums was that it occupied the almost same frequencies as Constantines bass. If I raised one, I could not hear the other..and vice versa. All the EQing in the world could not get around that....without ruining the entire sound.

I hate to point out the one flub I've heard you make on all your tracks to date, but since you insist it is at 2:06. Sounds like you banged your sticks together or something. You can hear it much more cleanly on your standalone track. It kept throwing me off during recording. I kept thinking it was a cue for the next section or something. :lol:

STILL POSTING??? ahhh not to worry I was having computer probs, but I'm still with it:)

yeah the FLUB in question is me hitting the rim rather hten the head...ooops:rolleyes:

as for the mix.......I'd hate for you to be pulling your hair out just to raise the drum track.

but if you must, they so be it:)

and yeah i missed the plane all together, but i'll have a go with the old headphones

Originally posted by rabies
Mix #2 up.

Lemme know what you guys think. I spent mucho time making the drums sound better(?) and trying to work with the bass. I also tried adding more bottem end to the guits to fill in the frequency gap discussed above, but that ended up making the guitars sound mushy..so I backed out.

Let me know.

I am working on a version with 7ths vocals now. There is much work to be done! :D

Hows the vox mix coming???
Can't wait to hear my vox mixed in with your expertices (sp??)

I'm getting nervice hoping it won't turn into a "I Want Out" thing and never get to hear a vocal mix :cry:

Jimbo.....you will hear a vocal mix for I want out, I SWEAR, lol

and trust me on this, your vox for that one were great, the hold up is the backing vox. I have to lay down a ref track and hopefully get some others to do the "gang" type thing on there, but I'm not a singer, so I'm dreading it, lol. hang in the bro....you'll love it

7th,

I've slacked a bit this week on IMG-related stuff. Too busy goofing off with the kid and generally playing video games. I promise you a 1st vocal mix and the 3rd instrumental mix by the end of this weekend.

7th my man!
Hang in there just a bit longer. I made significant progress with the vocals last over the weekend..but I am not yet done. After all the tweaking I did with the drums for the karaoke, I had to revisit it all...because your voice seemed to fit right into the same range as the snare.... :eek: