where to start?

truls

truls
Nov 11, 2005
Trondheim, Norway
I` m going to try to intoduce a non-metal friend of mine to opeth. she`s got an open mind to different music styles but I doubt she has wandered too far into the realm of extreme metal...

So my question is which album should I start off with? I was thinking morningrise `cause it strikes me as very melodic..but then again all the songs are really long...she might get bored(not possible in my view, but then again...)

so what do you think???

no way to morningrise imo.
i would say SL as it is a good balance between short and long songs, and heavy and soft songs.

some will prob say damnation... dunno i spose it is the most accessible but it doesn't really get someone inot the real opeth if u know wat i mean.

id go SL just cos... and cos its also my fav :)

Yeah SL, BWP, or Damnation would be good starting points.

Psycroptipath said:
some will prob say damnation... dunno i spose it is the most accessible but it doesn't really get someone inot the real opeth if u know wat i mean.

My thinking exactly!

Sl is a good call i guess

hmmm, actually, how about watching lamentations with her???
then she starts out w/ the damnations stuff and then hears them do some kick-arse stuff and can actually see them play and be into that.
that's how i got started and i'm a girl who never really listened to any extreme metal.
and now, well...
my favorite band!

I would start her off with The Drapery Falls. That's what really got me into Opeth. After that Deliverance is what made me start buying all their cd's. But try starting her off with probably Harvest first and then The Drapery Falls. That seems more like a good gradual introduction to Opeth.

Morningrise is probably a bad idea because the songs being so long. Don't do Black Rose Immortal lol

SpanglishEggroll said:
I would start her off with The Drapery Falls. That's what really got me into Opeth. After that Deliverance is what made me start buying all their cd's. But try starting her off with probably Harvest first and then The Drapery Falls. That seems more like a good gradual introduction to Opeth.

Morningrise is probably a bad idea because the songs being so long. Don't do Black Rose Immortal lol
I don't agree with that, most of the people I tried that with didn't like it when it got to the middle.

I think the entire Blackwater Park album would do the trick. Leper Affinity to show the band's real form, Bleak for some of their best clean stuff, then Harvest, and around halfway through Drapery, she'll be waiting for some heavy stuff, and then BAM.

Lamentations is a good idea too, mainly because of the way he hints towards something heavier to come. That could work too.

I have a lot of friends I turned to Opethians, I usually start them on more melodic songs with some brutalness like Isolation Years, The Drapery Falls, The Moor and Advent etc etc...

MasterOLightning said:
Opeth is a heavy band. Don't try to get around that by playing Damnation or anything.

My fucking thoughts ! \m/

Go with Morningrise dude, be a man and show it to her.
Then she'll end up listening to Morbid Angel if she's intelligent, bwahahaha!
(and I'm a girl)

Psycroptipath said:

i think its a great gateway to the overall vibe that opeth gives off...especially for someone that doesn't like extreme music. if they dig damnation, then they dig what is going on with the band to a certain extent...meaning there is a better chance that they will be more open minded to some of the heavier music...

but, as far as claiming that damnation isn't the "real opeth" goes, i don't agree. sure, on lamentations, even mike said that, "this is really what we sound like." i usually have great respect for that guy...but it seemed like he was making an excuse to please all of the "DEMON OF THE FALL!!!!-screaming fans." cuz man, when they heard that, i'm sure they felt reassured that opeth was still troo metal.

okay, i just went on a rant.

Show her Ghost Reveries. It's a fantastically balanced album, that's only borderline metal. I can't imagine a more accessible release, aside from Damnation, which wouldn't really be showing Opeth's true colors.

So yeah. Go with GR, you can't lose.

I'm absolutely sure you can start her off with like Baying of the hounds, The Drapery falls or like, Godheads lament. I don't think the growling bits are going to "scare" her. Mainly because Mike doesn't growl like everybody else. He prenounce good even when growling! It almost sound melodic when he does it. Especially from the SL album and up. If she like the variated styles and appreciates their exellence she will fall head over heels! :) Just tell her to listen carefully.