where to start?

if it has to be a studio album, GR is the best choice imo

although i recently gave morningrise and GR to a friend, and he likes advent and bri, but hasn't been hooked by GR (yet, i hope :p) ...so, different people different reactions.

other than that, the dvd may be the winning choice, or simply the drapery falls :p

TheButcher said:
go with Ghost Reveries
Your sig makes Mike look like Ted Nugent. :(

mike_bg.jpg

Luz said:
My fucking thoughts ! \m/

Go with Morningrise dude, be a man and show it to her.
Then she'll end up listening to Morbid Angel if she's intelligent, bwahahaha!
(and I'm a girl)

are you saying that men are more intelligent?

I heard BRI first after a friend suggested the band, and then I heard Blackwater Park and fell in love with Bleak, and the whole album, then the whole of Morningrise. But I was into that kind of music before anyway! But I did like the mellow side too.

I downloaded BRI to see what the band were like without any knowledge of the band and thought it must be an album made into 1 MP3 or something! But that and Bleak will always be my favourite Opeth songs I think, so they are the first I show to anyone who I want to listen to them, even if those aren't the best choices!

When I am trying to get into a band's music, I start with the latest release because if I like that album, I will most likely enjoy the direction that the band is taking the music and hence be able to follow the band more closely.

I became a fan shortly after the release of BWP. By the time I got to The Drapery Falls, i was hooked.

But in this case, Ghost Reveries is an excellent choice.

I'd say that if you want to get someone who isn't into metal that much into Opeth at all, u have a pretty hard task. But if you want to try to get her to like Opeth as a proper band, why not make her a compilation cd? Here are some ideas for possible tracks (In no order):

Drapery Falls
A Fair Judgement
When
Bleak
Harvest
Isolation Years
The Moor
Face Of Melinda
In My time of Need/To Rid The Disease

These are relatively accessible songs, and they dont hide the metal aspects of opeth, so if these don't win her over....they're not all personal fave's of mine, but maybe she'll like them? I dunno....

truls said:
I` m going to try to intoduce a non-metal friend of mine to opeth. she`s got an open mind to different music styles but I doubt she has wandered too far into the realm of extreme metal...

So my question is which album should I start off with? I was thinking morningrise `cause it strikes me as very melodic..but then again all the songs are really long...she might get bored(not possible in my view, but then again...)

so what do you think???

Bwp no question

I never liked death metal before I liked Opeth.

Opeth is a gateway band, in my opinion. People with differing tastes enter the Opeth world and leave with even more diverse tastes.
Congratulations Opeth for trascending stuff!