Which ~200$ USB/FireWire audio interface is the best?

Apr 2, 2009
My work is driving me crazy by long business trips, so I decided to buy a USB/Firewire Audio recording Interface. My budget is very tight so I can only purchase 1 product that costs less than 250$ (because I have to pay for very very expensive shipping cost + tax, too. 4 example: If I bought a 200$ product, I would have to pay about 400$ to take it in my hand. :-< OMG). I don't need many I/Os, just focus on sound quality.

I'm tired with so much problems of my PODs (from PODxt, PODxt Live, POD X3 - all of them are really bad quality product despite of the fact that I'm a big fan of Line6, sadly. :-< ) I've just returned a POD X3 as the result of fucking crazy problems right after I took it out of the box!!!!! My money was blown away for waiting, tax and shipping again.... What a painful day!

Therefore, the reliability is vital here. I still love Line6 and want to give them the last chance with POd Studio or used Toneport. But I will hear so much from you, who are very lucky people because of being able to test and hear those products directly before purchase.

I've heard great things about TC ELectronic Konneckt 6 for 200$, what do you think about?

Thank you so much.

--------
I'm using Windows XP Pro -32 bit and I will not tend to upgrade to vista - a hardware killer OS :-<

Hahaha, yeah, funny thing about the Onyx Satellite - it served me incredibly well for about a year, but last night it just died on me! :cry: Every time one powers it on normally, random LED's on the mic preamp level indicators pop up before it settles into it's normal idle (like a car engine revving up on initial startup), but now after the LED's light up as per the norm, both of the red peaking LED's come on and stay on, which certainly can't be a good thing! Arrrggghhhh...

Up until that though, it's been awesome, but yeah, seeing as how they're discontinued, I doubt you'd be able to find one with a warranty, so unfortunately I gotta say pass! :(

where are you located? i was going to sell mine about a month ago but noone seemed to be interested, havent had any problems with mine

sorry to hear about yours marcus

Thanks dudes! Not sure what I'll replace it with, I'll have to scour ebay, but given my laughable financial situation it'll probably be a Firebox! :(

Yeah, I don't doubt it, I more meant I had been hoping that when I had to replace the Onyx I could move up to something better!

thank you for replies and that's unlucky with your Mackie, Metaltastic :( (So sorry if my bad english caused misunderstand again..)
@sask poask: thank you for offering me a deal with your Onyx. I'm in Vietnam.
But after considering for a while and keep looking for more options, I think I will go with a TC Electronic Konnekt 6 (it fits near perfectly with my requirement: just one guitar-line in, very good audio quality, reliable + Cubase 4LE (now I am still using Cubase 3 @_@ )).

Thanks dude, and your english is fine, don't worry! :) Vietnam, that's awesome! Not too many Asian Sneapsters around here!

Anyway, turns out thanks to being confirmed for the gig in this thread, my parents are gonna get me a Mackie Onyx 400F to use for it (as well as for a graduation present), and even though I've heard it has some reliability issues as well, I found a place that's selling it for $525 shipped (it's normally ~$800) as a Factory B-stock but with a 3-year warranty, so fuck yeahs! :D

Thanks dude, and your english is fine, don't worry! :) Vietnam, that's awesome! Not too many Asian Sneapsters around here!

Anyway, turns out thanks to being confirmed for the gig in this thread, my parents are gonna get me a Mackie Onyx 400F to use for it (as well as for a graduation present), and even though I've heard it has some reliability issues as well, I found a place that's selling it for $525 shipped (it's normally ~$800) as a Factory B-stock but with a 3-year warranty, so fuck yeahs! :D

Thank you.
You have an awesome present! :kickass: The mission from your father is seems to be very sweet!!! :D Congratulation! :heh: My parents do not agree me paying money for music stuffs. @_@
I like Mackie Onyx 400F so much, but it's far from my budget. So I decided to get an TC konnekt 6, very affordable product.
Today, my BlackOut AHB-1b arrived, I can't wait to put it into my cheap guitar!!! :D My first active pickup ever!!!!! :heh:

I have a Presonus Inspire 1394. It's exact 200$. I have this soundcard since a year, and i never had any problem with it. It has 2 mic pres/2 guitar input plus line inputs(2 mono other 1 stereo) It doesn't have any pots or something, you can set up everything in the driver. Maybe it's weird, but its not so bad:)
The latency is very low, you can go down to 1,5-2 ms without any problems.
It has nothing fancy, but maybe you can check it.

And sorry for my english:)