Which drum library to choose?

kociol21

New Metal Member
Oct 8, 2016
Hi all

I lurked here for some time, great place with huge amounts of knowledge over all these years.

I know this is kind of thread that keeps returning but everyone has different needs, so I guess it's not bad to ask.

I'm looking for best drums I can possibly get for my needs. I know, that it's subjective in lot of cases and depends on one's need, so I'll try to write some background.

I used EZDrummer in the past with few expansions and it's wonderful piece of work but I begin to feel it's not enough for me for few reasons.

1. It can be hard to achieve THE sound that I imagined, because EZX drums are usually heavily processed already, so my own layer of extensive processing squishes the sound a lot.

2. To little sound shaping abilities - only one mic for all toms, no way to tune drums, no envelope control, very few mics at all (only one for room, one 'snare' instead top/bottom), very limited bleed control.

3. And this is the biggest - I'm not quite satisfied with amount of round robin and velocity layers. This usually is not THAT big of a problem, because EZXs are not that bad with this but if you start to do lot of ghost notes and snare rolls, it becames clear that eg. for snare you have only about 3-4 layers of velocity so there is no good way to do naturally sounding snare rolls, tremolos etc becasue at 49 vel it can sound like barely touched and at 50 vel like a blast.

For music choice, I mostly make progrock/progmetal, think Haken, Pain of Salvation, Karmakanic, Flower Kings, Devin Townsend, Kansas, Arjen Lucanssen's works etc. these kind of stuff require drums that can sound well in heavy riffing as well as spacey ballads and almost jazzy parts sometimes.

Thing to add - I really DON"T care about included midi patterns, things like song creator in EZX etc. because I'm used to writing everything by hand via piano roll anyway.

So there is Superior Drummer 2, Steven Slate Drums 4, Addictive Drums 3 and BFD3. Each of them is highly praised by developers and have many expansions.

Based on what I told you, which one (and which expansions) would you recommend to me?

I´d go for superior drummer with the progressive foundry. I have a lot of drum libs but mostly i get back to sd with the pf.
In my opinion Slate is more for heavy rock, AD3 more the indie cup of coffee and bfd maybe more jazz?! i think bfd is the hardest to tweak and i didn´t get it to sound right so far. The tweaking there needs to much time as you have to choose every mic, where in SD you can select multiples. AD has good room or overhead sounds but the drums itself are not that great for me. SD lets you route everything to separate tracks and every mic can be adjusted. So for me in sound quality and tweak ability it wins over the rest.

I think BFD3 should be your way to go. Lots of velocity layers and round robins, a huge amount of options to tweak the kits in any possible way. Also you can get excellent sounding, unprocessed add-ons for it. The GUI can be a little overwhelming first, but once you know how to handle it, it really is a great software.