Which Drumkit? (Industrial // Manson // Rammstein)

Jun 12, 2012
Hey,

our drummer wants to buy a new drumkit ( Budget: 10 000 € ). We play Industrial Metal with Dark and Black Metal influence. We want that big bassdrum sound and fat snare sound. Which drumkit would be the best sounding for live purpose? (it dont have to cost 10 000 € - i think there are cheaper drumkits out there which sounds better or equal - as it is everywhere) What can you suggest our drummer?

Note: we have alot of double bass parts too.
he also plays alot of blast beat stuff. Dont know if theres something that combine those two styles.

An easy recommendation - Tama Starclassic. Both the all-birch and the birch-bubinga hybrid kits sound excellent and have great hardware - still the most consistently awesome hard rock/metal kits I've recorded.

As far as snares go, I'd go with a good quality brass or steel snare. There are tons of nice ones out there.

Nothing beats a DW kick.

The high-end Pearl kits sound great, but IMO they are better suited for a jazz. They just don't have the "oooomfff" of a DW or Tama Starclassic.

Nothing beats a DW kick.

The high-end Pearl kits sound great, but IMO they are better suited for a jazz. They just don't have the "oooomfff" of a DW or Tama Starclassic.

My only problem with DW kicks is that in my experience they've been largely hit-or-miss (out of I'd say maybe 10-15 DW kits over the years). I've heard some that sound godly and some that sound a bit weak. Of course there are a zillion other factors that could be contributing, and you can always try a few out and pick the best. I've always been impressed with DW toms and I've had good experiences with their snares too.

An easy recommendation - Tama Starclassic. Both the all-birch and the birch-bubinga hybrid kits sound excellent and have great hardware - still the most consistently awesome hard rock/metal kits I've recorded.

As far as snares go, I'd go with a good quality brass or steel snare. There are tons of nice ones out there.

I can second that, for sure!

Pearl Reference Pure series sounds amazing. You can get that well under 10.000 euros.
I just ordered my Pearl Reference Series last month, should arrive with me in September.

Also have a look to DW, sounds amazing!

I love the Yamaha Studio Customs. If i had that budget i'd probably buy an amazing studio set, never move them and then something a little more reasonable to tour and pound on. I actually really think the cheap yamaha stage customs (all birch) actually sound pretty amazing for the money. You could buy a Yamaha studio customs around 5000.00 and spend 1000.00 on a yamaha stage custom, then use the rest for hardware and cymbals. Even the cymbal/hi hat hardware that comes with the cheaper stage custom set is quite decent. Everyone's opinions on this will be different. I like a fast decay so having birch shells seems to give me that. Also don't under estimate the importance of good/the right skins.

If you want to play that kind of music, get a shitty kit and trigger it with the appropriate samples - then only mic overheads live. Much easier and still sounds "authentic".

We thought about triggerin too, yes but he wants a good kit which he loves 4ever :)

BUT: Can you recommend a good trigger system?