Which Guitar Player will rule PPVII

Personally, I think when a guitar player reaches a certain level, it almost becomes pointless to discuss whose better. At that point, it's simply a matter of which player's style you prefer. Of the guitar players that have played or are scheduled to play this festival, the only ones that I would say have reached that level are (in no particular order):

Jasun Timpton - Zero Hour
Michael Romeo - Symphony X
Kiko Loureiro - Angra
Jeff Loomis - Nevermore
Mattias Eklundh - Freak Kitchen

There have been many that are very talented, and some that could be considered better songwriters. But as far as simply having reached a pinnacle of guitar playing ability, these (in my opinion) stand alone.

Zod

General Zod said:
Personally, I think when a guitar player reaches a certain level, it almost becomes pointless to discuss whose better. At that point, it's simply a matter of which player's style you prefer. Of the guitar players that have played or are scheduled to play this festival, the only ones that I would say have reached that level are (in no particular order):

Jasun Timpton - Zero Hour
Michael Romeo - Symphony X
Kiko Loureiro - Angra
Jeff Loomis - Nevermore
Mattias Eklundh - Freak Kitchen

There have been many that are very talented, and some that could be considered better songwriters. But as far as simply having reached a pinnacle of guitar playing ability, these (in my opinion) stand alone.

Zod

you forgot Stephan Forte

dargormudshark said:
and as far as guitarists who have already played let's not forget J-Dubya fave's Daniel Gildenlow and HevyDevy:D

LOL! Ye shall pay for that remark! :devil: :D
In ALL honesty, both are talented, I just don't like the way EITHER of them use it. More DG than DT.....I remember seeing DT when he was with Vai (back when he had a mohawk, IIRC) and was impressed with how well Devin played guitar when he'd duel it up with Vai. Then again, I WAS drunk at that show! :Spin:

J-Dubya

Well, I also think Loomis is a genius, but I am going to go against conventional wisdom and say the shredder Martin from MERCENARY will leave people's jaws dragging. He fuckin' ruled at PPV!

AngraRULES said:
Loomis/Smyth

and then Mathias.

And sorry Mark, I have to disagree. Leaving aside my fanboy-side of Angra and talking as a guitarist, I think Kiko and Rafael do a better job as a duo than Gamma Ray's Kai and Henjo.

You're free to disagree

(and be wrong) :D

I can't even imagine which guitarist on the roster can be considered the "best of the best for this year." The thought of seeing all of them in the course of 2 days is mind boggling.

On a similar topic, I came across a copy of Mattias IA Eklundh's latest album, Freak Guitar - The Road Less Traveled the other day (we sell it at my work). Couldn't let that one get away; we bought it, played it and worshipped it. The guitarwork is AMAZING (as expected), and the whole album is very diverse (all 23 tracks!) Some songs sound death metal(ish), others sound like an NES game soundtrack, haha! Definately an album worth looking for.

BlackenedDawn said:
On a similar topic, I came across a copy of Mattias IA Eklundh's latest album, Freak Guitar - The Road Less Traveled the other day (we sell it at my work). Couldn't let that one get away; we bought it, played it and worshipped it. The guitarwork is AMAZING (as expected), and the whole album is very diverse (all 23 tracks!) Some songs sound death metal(ish), others sound like an NES game soundtrack, haha! Definately an album worth looking for.

Make sure to get your hands on the first one, called "Freak Guitar".
It slays as much, if not more than the new one. Both kick major amounts
of ass-age.....

J-Dubya

Mattias "IA" Eklundh. Loomis will bow down once this guys hits the stage, and then he will be beaten by the dildo that IA uses for his unaccompanied solo.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

dargormudshark said:
you forgot Stephan Forte
He is an exceptional guitar player. The reason I didn't include him in that group is, he lacks his own style. Technically, he's incredible. But so are a thousand other guys from whom he's indistinguishable. Obviously, just my opinion.

Zod

MadeInNewJersey said:
that can't be, since Kai Hansen & Henjo Richter have been on the same stage.
I'm going to go with YtseJammer on this on. If you like the songs that Gamma Ray churns out over those written by the duo in Angra, to each his own. If you think the Gamma Ray duo are better, overall guitar players, I'd say all those CDs you listen to with black and white covers have damaged your hearing.:loco:

Zod

General Zod said:
I'm going to go with YtseJammer on this on. If you like the songs that Gamma Ray churns out over those written by the duo in Angra, to each his own. If you think the Gamma Ray duo are better, overall guitar players, I'd say all those CDs you listen to with black and white covers have damaged your hearing.:loco:

Agree 100%. Henjo and Kai are good guitar players, no doubt. From a techincal standpoint, Henjo's about the same level as Rafael. Neither is any slouch, but neither of them are Kiko, either.

Met-Al said:
Mattias "IA" Eklundh. Loomis will bow down once this guys hits the stage, and then he will be beaten by the dildo that IA uses for his unaccompanied solo.

I think Loomis would already acknowledge this without any dildo beatings. :Spin: It's not like Jeff has any sort of ego...

General Zod said:
Personally, I think when a guitar player reaches a certain level, it almost becomes pointless to discuss whose better. At that point, it's simply a matter of which player's style you prefer.

Zod

That is a great reply Zod and very true. I don't know enough of the bands yet to give an honest opinion. There have been some very good players @ PP like JV Lofstat, Stefan Lill, Otsby, Romeo, Kiko and Rafael, Pete Southern, Stephan Forte, etc. etc. I am sure I am forgetting a really excellent guitarist or two. Jorn Viggo absolutely blew me away at PPIV and is my fave so far.

Bryant

eaeolian said:
IA is about 50,000 feet above everyone else listed - and those are some damn fine guitar players. He's just in a different league...
I'd disagree. As I said (and I believe it's a valid point), at a certain point, it's nothing more than a matter of personal preference. If you prefer IA, that's cool. However, I find what Jeff does equally mind-blowing.

By the way, whenever I hear IA solo, I can't help but think he spent a lot of hours listening to Vai's "Passion and Warfare".

Zod

Bryant said:
That is a great reply Zod and very true.
Thanks.

Bryant said:
... JV Lofstat, Stefan Lill, Otsby, Romeo, Kiko and Rafael, Pete Southern, Stephan Forte, etc. etc. I am sure I am forgetting a really excellent guitarist or two. Jorn Viggo absolutely blew me away at PPIV and is my fave so far.
All excellent players. The simple fact of the matter is, the majority of guitar players that have graced the PP stage have been excellent players. Some are just flashier than others.

Hey, any release date on the new VP?

Zod