Which Guitar Player will rule PPVII

Bryant said:
There have been some very good players @ PP like JV Lofstat, Stefan Lill, Otsby, Romeo, Kiko and Rafael, Pete Southern, Stephan Forte, etc. etc.

FINALLY someone mentions Tore Ostby from Conception/Ark. He doesn't do the shred thing constantly (or even that often), as many of the other ones that have been named, but he can *definitely* do it, and do it well.

The difference is that Ostby uses his chops more tastefully....dropping in a blazing solo or riff now-and-then for effect rather than just "showing off" constantly (which to me becomes boring). This is one of the reasons I rarely listen to Yngwie Malmsteen...he's a brilliant technical guitarist, but after a while you sort of become numb to it and it loses its appeal.

That's the biggest reason I'd pick Ostby and John Petrucci over most other guitarists. Both have chops to burn, and use them well, but they also use them tastefully...putting the SONG and the MELODY first, and only putting in a burning riff where it actually FITS (there's a couple of Petrucci exceptions, such as on Train of Thought (even though I love that disc) where he wanks a bit).

Having said all that, I'd obviously include Ostby as one of the best from PP. I agree with Zod on putting Jasun Tipton on the list, as well as Kiko (Angra), Romeo (SymX), and Joel Gregoire (Stride). And even though I wasn't that fond of their set, I was also very impressed by Rage's Victor Smolski (who I've also been shocked that no one mentioned). I'm less familiar with this year's bands than previous years, so I'm looking forward to discovering some more.

Craig

General Zod said:
By the way, whenever I hear IA solo, I can't help but think he spent a lot of hours listening to Vai's "Passion and Warfare".

That's a good thing if he's going to have a heavy Vai influence, 'cause that's by far my favorite Vai album. "For the Love of God" (from that CD) is still by far the best thing Vai's ever done, IMHO.

Craig

General Zod said:
I'd disagree. As I said (and I believe it's a valid point), at a certain point, it's nothing more than a matter of personal preference. If you prefer IA, that's cool. However, I find what Jeff does equally mind-blowing.
Oh, I love Loomis - he's got a great energy to his soloing. Perhaps I should have said that I think IA's approach is on a higher level than the others listed.

General Zod said:
By the way, whenever I hear IA solo, I can't help but think he spent a lot of hours listening to Vai's "Passion and Warfare".
Sometimes I think that, too - then he does something that makes me go "where the hell did that come from?"

How could I have forgotten Stephan Forte and Tore Ostby? tsk tsk...

Also we've had mr. Michael Romeo, Victor Smolski, Timo Tolkki, Chris Caffery...

Jeff Loomis is the most underrated guitarist ever IMO. His shredding is so damn creative. I can't believe the solo he pulls off on 'I, Voyager'. I hope to God they play that song!

I can't wait to see them in a headlining spot!!!

BenMech said:
It could be that Vai comes from the Zappa school of thought (yeah yeah yeah Satch lessons whoopdiefrackingdoo), and IA approaches music as a serious study in how to have fun.

IA is also a HUGE Zappa fan, and at one time was in a Zappa Tribute band in Sweden....I can't remember what they were called.

I hate "who's better than who" type of threads because it's SO subjective.
However, all bias aside (no, REALLY!) I think Eklundh will be bringing the most to the table at this fest, in terms of originality, technique, and juat plain ol' FUN!

J-Dubya

AngraRULES said:
How could I have forgotten Stephan Forte and Tore Ostby? tsk tsk...

Also we've had mr. Michael Romeo, Victor Smolski, Timo Tolkki, Chris Caffery...

Going a bit further back, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Bernd Basmer from Superior....