Which Saxon album should I begin with?

Epica

May 4, 2003
Lost and Damned
Visit site
I was thinking to buy the Wheels of Steel/Strong Arm of the Law cd for starter, since they had a big influence on the NWOBHM in the early 80's, but I've been hearing a bit here and there that Saxon has actually improved with age, and nowadays soud better than they ever did in during the NWOBHM movement! So what part of Saxon's career should I buy into first?

A couple of monts ago I downloaded the song "Dogs of War", and that song had the best damn riff I had heard in years! Is that cd with the same name any good, perhaps?

Epica said:
I was thinking to buy the Wheels of Steel/Strong Arm of the Law cd for starter, since they had a big influence on the NWOBHM in the early 80's, but I've been hearing a bit here and there that Saxon has actually improved with age, and nowadays soud better than they ever did in during the NWOBHM movement! So what part of Saxon's career should I buy into first?

A couple of monts ago I downloaded the song "Dogs of War", and that song had the best damn riff I had heard in years! Is that cd with the same name any good, perhaps?

You are absolutely right man, Saxon's new stuff is absolutely unreal. Not many bands can boast that they got better with age but Saxon most definitely can. I recommend Metalhead to start your collection. Killing Ground and Unleash the Beast are also insane albums. This isn't to down the old shit, but Saxon's new stuff is some of the best music out today!! Enjoy!

I think you should start off with Killing Ground and Metalhead. Then look for The Eagle Has Landed Pt2. It is an absolutely fantastic live album that truly shows how great Saxon are live. After that grab Power and the Glory. It fucking RULES!!! Then grab heavy Metal THunder so you can hear the old stuff updated.

The Wheels of steel/Strong arm of the law CD would be a good start. Dogs of war is an ok album but there are better albums out there. You can't go wrong with the last three (new) releases, Unleash the beast, Metalhead and Killing ground. But if I was to choose one, it would have to be Unleash the beast.

Metalhead, no bad songs on it in my opinion, the heaviest ever! Download All Guns Blazing on Saxon's website! HMT are very heavy too, doing to old riffs to super heavy riffs!
And the Chronicles DVD will be released too, soon!

I agree, any of their last three albums and Heavy Metal Thunder as a taster for their classic stuff. The Wheels of steel/Strong arm of the law CD as mentioned above is also a very worthy purchase. Or you could start at the begining with Saxon and follow their career as I have done. You wont be dissapointed.

Get Wheels of Steel. Even today it rips your lungs out. Just imagine 23 odd years ago how powerful it was. See you at Bloodstock. Never surrender.