Which Would You Rather? A Re-recorded Debut Album or Another Album Like PL & IC?

Which Would You Rather Have?

• Total voters
I'm rather surprised 78% of you so far would prefer a re-recorded album. You guys are such conservatives. :p

Sure, PL/Iconoclast is not their magnum opus, but there would be at least a couple songs on such an album that I'd rather listen to than listen to a reproduced old album (one that is not even that great).

I'd prefer a little more variety than was on Iconoclast but the quality of the songs on that album was still amazing as far as I'm concerned. Russell Allen singing their old stuff would be interesting but I'd much rather hear new stuff, even if it was in exactly the same vein as PL and Iconoclast (which I don't really have a problem with as I think they are two of the band's best albums).

I probably wouldn't care much for either option, but instinctively I'd rather listen to re-recorded first album than an another album that is more of the same as the last two.

Well I think it's more about being true to yourself. And Romeo, the main composer is said by himself and bandmates(as well as myself) to be better at writing the progressive stuff. But this is just probably a lot of Russ' doing. We may never know. But c'mon, Symphony X haven't totally abandoned their element like the MetalliBrats did with the Load and Reload of Shit.
I can't believe you listen to those albums at all!

Hero Of The Day? c'mon man

I enjoy the albums for what they are, even if it is simplified and blues-driven. It sounds like music they wanted to play, so I'm fine with it.

To clarify, I'm not comparing Symphony X's new material to Load and ReLoad, or even to Metallica, I'm just saying the tonal departure/backlash is similar. If Symphony X were to record a super-proggy album JUST because the fans wanted it and they weren't being true to themselves, I think it would sound like Death Magnetic: a return to form with decent songs that lacks passion.

EDIT: Ok, fair enough, Hero of The Day is pretty bad.

This was for me maybe the easiest poll ever... Despite I don´t like "Shades of Gray", I´m preety sure that I´ll be hearing a re-recorded version of it much more than what I´m actually hearing IC (which is almost never).

Yeah to you and me, it IS an easy poll. But look at how the latter choice is catching up to the former. I'm telling you, it is going to be closer than you and I think.
Simply mind-boggling.

I'd say re-record the first album and beef it up some. This has already been to be a proven success with many other bands that do it right. Also this will give SX time to recharge their creative batteries, and come up with new ideas in the meantime for a fresh new album.

First album is pretty good actually. If it weren't for the production and weird vocals it would be a lot better than the last 2 albums. So yes for re-recording.

I would prefer new material, no need to re-record something whats been done. And there's no way they will do it anyway, it's same like logitech would start selling ball mouses again...hehe.

I'd say re-record the first album and beef it up some. This has already been to be a proven success with many other bands that do it right. Also this will give SX time to recharge their creative batteries, and come up with new ideas in the meantime for a fresh new album.

As a fan, I object to this proposition. If there is a 1% chance that the next album will be as great as V, I'd say make a new record. After all what's the worst that can happen? With Symphony X that's another PL/Iconoclast - not so bad! Definitely better and way more creative than a simple re-recording of old material.

But is it really? Another PL/Iconoclast is just the same as re-recording of old material; you get a bunch of songs that are interchangeable with songs from the last two albums. Except it would probably be better for them commercially. On the other hand, the good thing about re-recording old material for them would be that it wouldn't take much effort unless they got really, really into re-arranging the stuff so it could be a side-release that hardly affected the date, the next new album came out.

This being said, I simply don't believe they want to or will re-record their debut or any other material. They would've done it already if they were going to. What I think will happen is that they'll release an another album in 2015 and those who prefer their recent material will like it.

Yeah to you and me, it IS an easy poll. But look at how the latter choice is catching up to the former. I'm telling you, it is going to be closer than you and I think.
Simply mind-boggling.

True, for me 5 votes for an PL/IC album is just :erk:, but it´s acutally understandable. Despite the almost massive criticism that IC have recieved, there are still guys out here who think it´s a great album, or even the best SX´s work (which is respectable, but surely I won´t ever share the latter).

This WOULD be an easy poll if I had put "Make a new album with multiple band member songwriting credits" as a 3rd choice.

So very true. I honestly think that the reason V and The Odyssey were such exceptional albums was because of the contributions in the songwriting from P, Rullo, and Lepond. The last two albums have been Romeo/Allen-fests, which, while the two are immensely talented, the songwriting tends to sound similar amongst the majority of the tracks.

I prefer more diversity. Awakenings! Communion and the Oracle! And don't even begin to tell me that Paradise Lost (song) or When All Is Lost are replacements for Communion!