who does like dream theater on this forum? am i the only one?

nicosanchez said:
have you ever heard megadeth? labrie sounding like mustaine? please tell me where, because honestly, i haven't heard it.

He constantly tries to sound like Mustaine, which he is absolutely horrible at. He doesn't really succeed.

BTW, have you heard laBries work on Ayreon's "Human Equation"? He actually sounds better than usual you think, but then, in the seventh track... Oh my GOD those notes he does there probably were so out of tune that there was no chance that they could be autotuned... What IS the matter with the guy?
A really great record, anyway. And that guy Lucassen has to be sick. How DOES he come up with those overpompously overpompous lyrics? Really fascinating. This album has to be the Ayreon record that best deserves such an ambitious concept, though. Some of the best music of 2004, easily.

Anyone heard Tim Donahue's Madmen and Sinner's? I think Labrie puts in a great preformance on that...then again, he always annoys me more when I have to look at him, rather than the sound of his voice being a major problem, haha...

Listening to Scenes From a Memory right now, actually. They don't get as much playtime as they used to, but I still dig 'em and pull 'em out from time to time. I think people generally either over-hype them or over-bash them. They're good, they used to be great, and they are losing steam. That about sums it up.

stormhammer said:

LMAO, great pic bro. I heard the audio of the Maiden egging, and I loved it when someone from ozzy's crew started chanting ozzy over the PA, trying to get the crowd to chant it, but they were chanting maiden really loud instead, that was fucking great, how that shit really back fired on sharron and the crew. That's really unproffessional and very childish tho to treat maiden like that, I mean I know Bruce said some stuff, but that's not reason to treat such a legendary band like maiden like that.

DT's good, no doubt about it, but bands like Spastic Ink (in case you didn't know already...) are so far ahead of them.

Dave Weckl > Mike Portnoy

Again, this is not set in stone. I like DT for their chemistry they have as a band, but your right, their songwrighting is mostly godawful (SFAM is one of my very least favourite albums, far too much wankery). And the the Dave Weckl band is the same - the earlier records were amazing, Synergy being the peak IMO. But Multiplicity is very wankerish, with far too much from weck-man. His technique may be far beyond Portnoy's, but Dave has an uncanny nack for playing in front of the band, and even though Portnoy's drum parts may be hideous at times, he does do exactly what is needed for DT, and plays very much behind the band mostly (TOT is [mostly] a good example of this). I think you can't compare people too closely, because, from record to record, stylistically, bands can change so much. Just look at bands like, say, King Crimson, or Radiohead. Two complete oposite ends of the spectrum of prog, but both are very unpredictable bands. And as far as i know, Ron Jarz is a good friend of Portnoy/that DT lot - there are a few pics on Portnoy's website - so i wouldn't be dissing them too much, despite what Ron says about "keyboard metal".

The few tracks I've heard from Octavarium, sounded like good ol' Floyd mixed with two spoons of high-strung evangelist vocals and one spoon of ascending-descending keyboard scales. Oh, and lots of really loud drum sounds.
Sooooo boring...

I've been a fan of DT since I&W came out. I've been able to get into everything very easily until 6 degrees. That one took awhile to warm up to and now I like it. But the last two, I just can't get into at all, no way, no how. Their best days are long gone for sure.

ACRONYM said:
DT's good, no doubt about it, but bands like Spastic Ink (in case you didn't know already...) are so far ahead of them.

Dave Weckl > Mike Portnoy

i would have to completely agree, dream theater certainly had their place, and they def. influenced a lot of people, but they just cant be appreciated in comparison to spastic and spiral architect or even the older prog rock bands that they were influenced by.

lots of drummers > mike portnoy

I still like dt, I think they are incredible musicians and songwriters, and JP is one of my favorite guitar players ever. It seems to be a sin nowanddays to dig DT, and I like sinning so, I would deffinately not think twice, when I put them up there as one of my all time favorite bands, I don't think their best days are over, I mean no one can predict the future, I think they just headed in a different direction, and so far I've loved all of it.

even DT's shittiest album is better than most of the cd's out there.lately the got lazier,they should spend more time on songwriyting and t change their sound a little bit too

Agreed Control-D. They wrote Scenes From A Memory in two months (although themes were already written ) and there´s always the LTE experience, but they seem to be always in a hurry and don´t look like as if they had put a lot of effort in a song. I can tell you that DT is my favorite band, but there´s no technical reason to point it how, I just love ( specially old ones) their songs. DT has got bigger these days and has reached a wider audience, so for those who loved that semi-cult band it´s strange. But I don´t mind.

btw, I was reading other posts. I am big fan of James La Brie, yeah even when he misses the proper notes, but then I like John Arch and Allan Techio. John Myung is a great musician as well as Petrucci ( although he´s repeating him self a lot ). Jordan is great, but does not have good choices for tones. Portnoy, used to be a cool guy and a good player, but lately he´s speaking more than he should. I did like LTE and Awake, where he´s required to improvise and play more complex patterns but Transatlantic disappointed me alot as I wish he had focused more on the tempo than playing fillings. I just may not be accurate or doing a proper analysis as I am a fan, but musically speaking there are much better drummers like Brufford, Bozzio or Sean Reinert, or Asgeir, or B. Jarzombek or whatever. It took 2 years to me to get ToT, but I still can´t appreciate it. I feel always tempted to buy new DT cds as I remember a time where they used to be completely great, but prices make me away and also there´s always something better in metal than these last 3 DTs, specially technical metal bands.