Who Else Loves Crossover?

k ill change it to this one

cutenaughty.gif

better?

Spectacular Views said:
Thrash, death and black metal suck :confused:

It's obvious metal stems from rock/hardrock, not hardcore. What does hardcore music have to do with anything.

The Greys said:
All the metal today with hardcore sucks too(imo).

The problem with crossover, the music sounds 80% punk, and 20% thrash. DRI etc.. characteristics are cleary in punk music more than anything. The songs are short. The drummer is just more extreme than punk bands at the same time. I don't see the big deal with this kind of music.
Crossover was fun, energetic music - it was great to slam to back in the day. I havent had much interest in crossover for some time but alot of the old thrash bands were full of punk/hardcore influenced. I wouldnt mind hearing a bit of DRI, Electric Hippys, Gang Green or Cryptic Slaughter again but I dont think im willing to part with the money for a second time.

The Greys said:
All the metal today with hardcore sucks too(imo).

The problem with crossover, the music sounds 80% punk, and 20% thrash. DRI etc.. characteristics are cleary in punk music more than anything. The songs are short. The drummer is just more extreme than punk bands at the same time. I don't see the big deal with this kind of music.
That's not exactly true. In the case of DRI, their music began as pure hardcore. Their crossover didn't truly occur until 'Thrash Zone'. It was more of a gradual process for them. 'Thrash Zone' still had elements of punk, though the thrash was definately far more evident than 20%. I'd go as far as saying 'Thrash Zone' was almost pure thrash. Your description describes one or two of their albums, particularly 'Crossover' or 'Four of a Kind'.

And they only had short songs for their first two albums - I think something like 25 songs for 'Dealing With It' and over 50 for self-titled album. I think 'Crossover' is when they lengthened their songs.

Priest of Evil said:
Crossover was fun, energetic music - it was great to slam to back in the day. I havent had much interest in crossover for some time but alot of the old thrash bands were full of punk/hardcore influenced. I wouldnt mind hearing a bit of DRI, Electro Hippies, Gang Green or Cryptic Slaughter again but I dont think im willing to part with the money for a second time.

fixed

Thanks Ohio its been about 15 yrs since i owned that Electro Hippies vinyl, I was trying to remember the exact bloody name. I did a quick netsearch on them the other day and failed to turn up much *shrugs*

Yeah KMADD, that was the Gang Green album i had in mind and Murphys Law was good for a few spins too! They were blind days :kickass: :headbang: :kickass: :headbang: :puke: :kickass: :Smokin: :zombie:

LOS MAGANDOS said:
what the fuck do you know about hardcore ???:lol: :lol:

If he's heard it, and doesn't like it, what else is there to know? I quite like some crossover, but in the main I preferred straight ahead metal thrash. The reason? Hardcore annoys me, not only in terms of how horrily similar much of its music is from one band to another, but also in terms of attitude - this is, let's not forget the "scene" that:

created straight-edge, a sub-genre run by tiresome sobriety nazis

created the tough-guy-in-a-wife-beater-vest image (despite every other hardcore band originating in the comfy suburbs, not the "street")

begat "emo", and all we know and love from that genre

begat hatebreed, shelter and a quazillin other pointless, talentless bands

begat the "breakdown" *shudder*

ripped off and continues to rip off the thrash riff style, and yet despite roughly 75% of hardcore bands sounding like bad Slayer tribute outfits in 1997, denying they have anything to do with anything so passe as metal.

continues to call itself "punk" (which in itself is laughable)

sorry, rant mode disengaged.

I agree with that summary also, you hit the nail on the head there Carcassian.

Another cool oldschool band that springs to mind was Canda's DBC and their Dead Brain Cells debut. Probably leaning a little more to the metal camp but again, I've not heard this album in many years.

Something else that seems forgotten by time is No Mercy, Mike Muirs little excursion outside of Suicidal Tendencies in the early years. Once again more on the metal side but that was my preference back in the day- though i did take quite an active interest in punk/hardcore at one stage also.
Quiet of a few of these tracks ended up on SC's Feel Like Shit... Dejavu release