Who is good with the editor?

Hmm, I'm no good with it, but a UM map would be cool \m/

I think DE can do a fair bit with it, I could be wrong, as he does suck quite a lot of ass. :)

I'm not good with it considering whenever I try and load it up, it crashes. :)

haha, that he does. I used unrealed a lot during UT99....made half a dozen unfinished but could-have-been-decent maps. had a lot of fun. It's been years though...many. I don't think i'd have the time to re-learn the new unrealed and make a good level, much as i'd love to give it a shot.

I was actually making a fucking cool Quake map... but I gave up. It was looking really cool... though all I had was a huge cavern and a cool looking bridge. If my jaz drive ever works again, which it won't, I could retrieve it. :bah:

For some reason I gather making maps is hard and requires some form of skill :lol:. Thus I probably shouldnt even bother, though the possibility of making your own map sounds pretty fucking amazing.

It's great fun...even learning unrealed is very enjoyable.....you've just got to have a LOT of time to devote to it y'know? the hardest part for me wasn't building the level but putting all the proper pseudo-code stuff in, y'know, movers, triggers, botpaths, skyboxes, liquid properties, collision hulls, zoning....bleah, and it's even more complex in 2k4. nah, not for me anymore!

Damn.

I am considering buying the re-release to get the training DVD. It's something I would like to learn and try, but I don't know how much time I can devote to it between work, school, and learning other programs that can make you more money.

I got into UT online far too late, Only really started in about 2001-2002. After seeing lots of custom levels I had a crack at the UEd myself. I got a lot of great info early on which was lucky, and from there continued learning ever since. There were even a couple of people from the sites I look on that got jobs because of their abilities with map-making (One of them has maps in the UT2k4 original package I believe, havent seen for myself).

I wouldnt say that I know much at all about UEd cause there is too much stuff. But I do enjoy making maps every now and then (none of my work has ever left my hands), mind you I hate coding/programming (cause I can't do it, thats why I hate it :erk: ) Things like stochastic triggers, skyzones, dispatchers and movers didn't fit into this category for me, they were cool. It was more the funky stuff like changing the shock rifles blue beam to a purple or something for that map and then altering the pulse gun beam maybe. Even things like making single player enemies fall from the sky through creature factories and that is where I drew the line.

I also heard that mapping for 2k4 / 2k3 is different in that you need to make your own meshes or something using external programs (Maya and 3DSmax seem to be overmentioned)? and there is other stuff like anti-portals where UT didn't have them, it didn't need them. (Anti-portals stop zones through wals or something don't they, what an absolute pain doing that through a map?)

I fear that if I really went into depth trying to make maps for 2k4, that my head would explode. Then there is stuff like making skins.....

Anti-portals are barriers that stop the engine rendering static meshes when your player perspective looks around in a level....because the engine renders all static mesh in your view, even if you can't see it for BSP architecture. Anti-portals are usually in abundance in large levels (put in loads of walls, hills, etc) to stop the engine killing the framerate.

And yeah, a lot of community mappers were contracted for a couple maps a piece in UT2k4. Must be something like almost half the new maps, if not more, were done by mappers from the UT/UT2k3 community. Good choice if you ask me. =)

I just bought the DVD edition for the training videos. I watched a couple of them. There is ALOT of stuff to learn when it comes to the maps. The guys doing the tutorial make it look so easy. I guess it might be easy to to do a small simple level and making terrain for outside looked fairly easy, but it looks like the amount of skill needed for the more complex maps goes up exponentially.

*wondering if anyone can help him with this dilemma*

I've got a finished map, only problem is, i've placed the spawn points across the map, but whenever I test the map, everyone spawns at the same point.

How do I fix this?