Who is interested in cymbal samples?

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
About 80% of the guys here write music and program the drums with Superior, DFH or whatever program.
I always feel the cymbal sound sucks on 60% (or more) on them, it just simply bothers me listening to the samples on the rate my mix thread that all these cymbals just make it instantly sound bad while the guitar tone might be crushing.

I've have a some cymbals and would be willing to just make samples if there's enough interest in it.
If so, what and how would you want them?

The list of cymbals I've got (all Sabian):

Crashes
AAX Xplosion crash 18"
AA Metal-X 17"
AAX Ozone 18"

Hihats
AAXcelerator 14"
AAX Stage Hats 14"

China's
12" Mini Chinese
17" AAXtreme
18" AA Metal-X
20" AA Metal-X

Ride:
AA Metal-X 20"
HHX Groove Ride 21"

Misc
Custom Chinese made from previously AA Metal-X 16" crash (real cutting cymbal)
AAX Splash

Like said before, if there's enough interest, I'd be willing to do this when I have the time. This will then be somewhere mid June. Then I'll make multisamples, different velocities etc.etc.....

Peace..

That would be awesome.

I made my own, but I only had 2 crashes, hats, a ride and a splash. And I panned them 70/70 when makin the samples, which I find isn't wide enough for my tastes now so I have to pan each individual cymbal making it sound a bit fake. ><

Anyway.
Make sure all the cymbal samples are taken with the same mics, same setup, same room, everything. Otherwise it'll sound dodgy. Just OHs probably.. close-micing them will be way too complex (maybe for ride/hats if you want, or the china, but really its up to you).
Pan em 100/100. (can always make closer, making wider is a lot harder).
Cut as soon as the cymbal dies out, and use a crossfade at the end in case you cut too early.
Each cymbal on its own, then one can use Drumagog to trigger the right sample at the right time. Two instances of Drumagog if you want two at once.

You really don't need many velocities. Different stages of the hat (closed, halfclosed, open, chick) at a couple different velocities, then the crashes and ride really only need 1. I've never found a need for more. If you want to do swells perhaps.. maybe just include swell samples instead of sampling like 10 diff velocities, would end up sounding better anyway.

Take my advice or not, this would be awesome. I dislike it when everyone's drums sound the same. The drums themselves are easy to replace with whatever samples but the cymbals not so much.

Definately!
If you can so much as get me anywhere near George Kolias' China Crash sound then I'll be able to die a happy man

and everything else is an epic bonus :D

I'd love to have some good cymbal samples to use. I kinda struggle trying to get the slate cymbals how I want them to sound...

Im in! My drum programming blows enough already, some better cymbals would definatly help!

That would be awesome.

I made my own, but I only had 2 crashes, hats, a ride and a splash. And I panned them 70/70 when makin the samples, which I find isn't wide enough for my tastes now so I have to pan each individual cymbal making it sound a bit fake. ><

Morgoe, is that the chick from House in your avatar?

That would be awesome but the question I have is what can trigger them like DFHS? Im yet to find a program that will let you load your own samples in that works well.

I would definitely love this just please make sure to use an overhead setup the exact way you would when you record drums and dont move the mics at all until you are done that way the cymbals sound natural and everything. Maybe include close mics on rides and hi hats if you would like. I know you may be thinking "well duh..." but all the cymbal samples i've come across are close miked and sound retarded in a mix.

That would be awesome but the question I have is what can trigger them like DFHS? Im yet to find a program that will let you load your own samples in that works well.

Drumagog lets you trigger them with MIDI.

I usually create a MIDI track and then I use it to trigger the Drumagog instaces plus S2.0 (overheads only) at the same time (using the same channels)

Drumagog lets you trigger them with MIDI.

I usually create a MIDI track and then I use it to trigger the Drumagog instaces plus S2.0 (overheads only) at the same time (using the same channels)

Does it sound better than using .GOG versions of cymbals? :D *I hope so*

I've used Native Instruments Battery 1, 2 and 3 to load in and play samples and that worked well for me :)