Who is the best guitarist ????

I must reiterate: anybody who thinks Michael Romeo is "the greatest guitar player ever" simply hasn't listened to enough guitarists. 256ths and lightning-fast octuplets aren't everything. Unless you're twelve years old.

And yeah, Buckethead is great. I love the Praxis albums and some, not all, of his solo albums. Definitely a far more interesting guitarist than Yngwank, Romeo, etc.

Originally posted by bassbitch
randy rhoads randy rhoads randy rhoads!!!

SHEER MAGIC!!! FIRE!!! the man was a phenomenal guitarist.

Holy shit YES Mel. Josey Scott of Saliva was quoted in my new issue of Guitar One and I can't get it out of my head: "Listening to Randy Rhoads play is like peeking throught the door and watching two people have sex."

Originally posted by Mr Toast
I have a lot of guitarists that I am in awe of...

I saw Joe Satriani earlier this year for the first time... very impressive!

I've also had the opportunity to see (and briefly shake hands with) Vinnie Moore - I've always liked his sound too.

Then there's Tony Macalpine - Edge Of Insanity anyone?

Marty Friedman and Jason Becker...

I love David Chastain's stuff too.

I'm sure I could add a few more to this list if I thought about it, but what's the point.

Each of these guitarists brings something to the table I like, so I can't call a favorite skill wise.

My favorite guitarists are Sara and JoJo though... and they're cute too!

From an accoustical standpoint, my fav has always been Rik Emmitt. However, from a metal guitar standpoint, shesh that's tough. There's so many great guitarists that I don't think I could pick one as best. I like a lot of the names already mentioned, but some others I really like are the sounds from the JP pair, KK Downing & Glen Tipton, especially their older stuff, however PainKiller was down right kick ass.

Don't really think its possible to pick a best guitarist. There are so many different styles of playing how do you compare? Everyone will have their own opinion so favorite guitarist would have been a more appropriate thread.

Anyone else heard this Yngwie rant? Apparently Yngwie was gay bashing on a flight and a woman got tired of listening to his drunk ass and poured her drink on his head.
34.gif

Forget Steve Vai. Randy Rhodes, blaah.

It was all about KURT COBAIN! Now that was one hellova talent in technical guitar history.

...:saint:

Originally posted by thebigyetti
oh yeah, one word, BUCKETHEAD

I saw his solo act(!) at the Fenix in Seattle about 3 years ago....wow! Strange but man can that dude play! I also enjoyed his versions of the Pirates of the Carribean song and the Main Street Electrical Parade. :)

Too bad the Fenix was pretty much f*cked up by the earthquake of a couple years ago. I think the whole building is still being rebuilt/fixed. :(

Yeah, Lindsey Buckingham has a very unique style - he plays an unusual little guitar and uses his fingers more than a pick. You don't see much of that in rock music. He can do some cool things because of it!

Like this topic. But very hard to say much. As a guitarist, I have guitar players that I have always liked. But as far as them being the 'best' I don't know. One guy who plays guitar that will blow your ears away is Brent Mason. He is the top call in Nashville and this guy is just amazing.

As for my own favs I would say:
John Petrucci
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Brent Mason
Nancy Wilson
Jim Matheos
Carlos Santana
Eric Johnson
the duo of Harris and Smith
Ace Frehley-my first guitar hero
and a lot more. I don't think I can narrow it down to a few favs.

Of course there is the lightning fast licks and prowess of Danny Partridge.

Rock on!

Hey! Danny Partridge was a bass player (sort of)! Except he was too weasel-like, more like a.....well, I better not say.... :p

Wait a minute, did I just claim Danny Partridge as a fellow bassist? Geez Louise. :rolleyes:

I would tend to agree that a more appropriate name for this thread would be "Favorite Guitar Player" rather than "best". There are so many awesome players we could list, yet everyone has their favorites.

Do I hear any votes for MiniMurray and Adrienne Smith? They kick much booty! :D

I have respect for a guitar player who can pull the greatest guitar solos but I prefer those who can experiment and try different things, or create solos that are not complicated but give you chills all the way through your spine.

For these reason I like Tom Morello and all maiden guitarist.
Same goes for bass player, even though none except harris comes to mind right now. Maybe Steve Digiorgio, former Death and Iced Earth bassplayer. I like fretless stuff :headbang: I have a fretless guitar myself, but that's another story :cool: