Who plays drums on C2?

Apr 26, 2003
Don't believe I've ever found out who bashes the skins on Crimson II: Does Dan himself play them? Is it a drum machine? A guest appearance?

animal.jpg

Reactions: Villain
how are the drums anyway?
cause even tho I think dan is very good at them he is not my favorite drummer

I remember reading somewhere that the first instrument Dan played was drums. Maybe it was a dream...

Schraiber said:
I remember reading somewhere that the first instrument Dan played was drums. Maybe it was a dream...

Yes, this is true. Check out his work on some of the early Unicorn demos, like A Collection Of Worlds II and The Weirdest Of Tales. He was pretty nifty back then with his off-beats and fills. His playing became much simpler after that...

Hi..I was born a drummer, kicked the shit out of my mothers cookin devices, got my first kit when I was 5 and played atleast once a week until in 2000 when I sold my final drumkit. I belive my ultimate performance to be the "Moontower" album. These drums where recorded to a clicktrack (tough shit)
On C2 I play on a Drumkat which is a device with 10 small pads on it and a real kickdrum pedal attached to a minikickdrum. I sampled the drums myself in various velocities but also many similar shots and then I use a sampleplayer (NNXT) to switch between various similar samples in random to emulate a real drum that never sounds the same twice..I tried to play instead of programming, because this is where most bands with a drummachine fails..They make it too good. If the sound is flawless and separated and every drumhit is exactly 100% on the beat, it sounds like a machine. I recorded the drums just as if I would have with a realkit and tried to cheat (perfect) my takes as little as possible to make it sound like the real thing.

Well, you definately did well, considering some of the more tricky sounding riffs in there (time signature wise). Many of the riffs on this album are much more jagged and grind-corish (excuse this, for lack of a better word), and sound hard to play. Good stuff. Not overly technical, but far from basic. :D