So...

Bertovo

New Metal Member
Jun 19, 2005
I was looking through the album notes on Metal-Archives and came across a few points of interest (For my n00b ass atleast)

On Crimson it says the line up is

Dan Swanö : Vocals
Andreas Axelsson : Guitars
Sami Nerberg : Guitars
Anders Lindberg : Bass
Benny Larsson : Drums, percussion

Guest musicians:
Mikael Akerfeldt - Vocals, lead guitars
Anders Mareby - Cello

What involvement did Mikael have in this album and at what part can I hear him sing?

And it says the line up for Crimson II is the following

Roger Johansson - Lead Growling Vocals
Jonas Granvik - Backing Growling Vocals
Mike Wead - Lead Guitar
Simon Johansson - Lead Guitar

I was under the impression that Dan did the whole album by himself?

Yeah, I was under the impression that he did all the lead vocals on Crimson II.

Dan perfomed the death metal gruntings on both Crimson 1 & 2

Black metal like vocals were performed by Mike Akerfeldt on Crimson 1 and by a friend of Dan (I can't rememeber his name..) on Crimson 2.
And...I confirm that Dan has not written Lyrics of Crimson 2

on C1, Mikael Akerfeldts grunts is quite easily distinguishable from dan's. it's less deep then Dan's... it sounds like his grunt on Opeth's My Arms, Your Hearse album.

you can hear Mikael play some solos too.

The Death Cello Bizarre part is played by Mareby, around 8th minute. Then a piece of grunts come in, then it kick's into this awesome solo by Mike. Then follows the quiet part (the whole world is mourning, for the loss of their king). 1 or 2 minutes later kicks in Akerfeldts grunt (WARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. MESSENGERS OF HELL!)

At the 28th minute is the quiet part again. It ends with "or is she the offspring of the unholy" GOOOOODDDDDDDDDDD <this is mikael

There are about 5 parts i think on C1 where Mike grunts.

C2: lyrics are written by Clive Nolan, from UK prog band Arena. Half of the grunts are performed by Dan, other half by the other 2 guys mentioned before.

Mike's vocals of C1 are pretty distinguishable, they're a lot higher, more aggressive and the music gets more brutal always when Mike comes in :d

And yeah "or is she the offspring of an unholy GOD" is one of the best moments in music ever.

I wonder on Crimson II, I only hear two vocals, the lower being Dan and the higher being Rogga.. what does the 3rd guy do? The super-low vocals on Face to Face and such?

madu said:
Mike's vocals of C1 are pretty distinguishable, they're a lot higher, more aggressive and the music gets more brutal always when Mike comes in :d

And yeah "or is she the offspring of an unholy GOD" is one of the best moments in music ever.

I wonder on Crimson II, I only hear two vocals, the lower being Dan and the higher being Rogga.. what does the 3rd guy do? The super-low vocals on Face to Face and such?

Dan didn't do all the low growls, I believe. I know Rogga did the high growls, probably with Granvik backing. (They do those together on the Dead End World demo). Dan has a harsh, powerful growl, whereas Rogga's is more throaty, and rounded out. Granvik's is kinda similar to that.

All along I just assumed Dan had an incredibly veristile growl.

AnTz0r said:
At the 28th minute is the quiet part again. It ends with "or is she the offspring of the unholy" GOOOOODDDDDDDDDDD <this is mikael.

Side note, this is probably the best part of any music ever.

correct credits for "CRIMSON 1" :

Andreas Axelsson - Right Guitar
Benny Larsson - Drums, Inspiration
Anders Lindberg - Bass
Sami Nerberg - Left Guitar
Dan Swano - Center Rhythm and Harmony Guitar,
Clean and Acoustic Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals

Additional Musicians:
Anders Mareby - Death-Cello Bizarre
Mike Akerfeldt - Vocals & Lead Guitar

taken from original CD

There was a word- file floating around here a while ago, which listed who did what vocals on Crimson 2. If anybody is interested, I might be able to dig it up somewhere...