Who would be interested in a Best Nightwish Song contest?

Hyperspace

Escapist
Feb 28, 2009
Pennsylvania (United States)
I supposedly got the word from C. that there was an old Nightwish song contest run over at the old OSA site, prior to the release of DPP. With DPP out for over a year now, I want to run a Best Nightwish Song contest.

Before I even start up the nomination phase, I have a list of songs that will not be allowed into my contest and my reasoning behind the decision:

Symphony of Destruction - While it is played quite often live, Nightwish never recorded their own version of the song to be included on a studio album (not on a live/compilation album or a single). Nightwish would have to record their own version and actually place it on a studio album if it wants to be allowed into my contest. Original Nightwish songs (not a recording of a cover) that weren't put on a studio album are allowed into my contest and this would apply to "While Your Lips Are Still Red" (which can be nominated).
High Hopes - It is only included on the Nightwish compilation album "Highest Hopes" and is not present on any studio albums.
Crimson Tide/Deep Blue Sea - Found on the live album "From Wishes to Eternity" and also not present on any studio albums.

As for the song "Lappi (Lapland)", you cannot nominate the invididual 4 parts to that song, but the song as a whole can be nominated. Which means no nominating Erämaajärvi, Witchdrums, This Moment is Eternity, or Etiäinen.

The next issue for me to deal with is "Erämaan Viimeinen", which I am considering not allowing into the contest, simply because it's more or less just a vocal version of Last of the Wilds.

Finally, I must deal with the demo songs. While I'll most likely allow Nightwish and The Forever Moments to be nominated, I am most likely not going to allow the Etiäinen demo song to be nominated since the final completed version of it happens to be one of the 4 parts to Lappi.

In total, there are 83 Nightwish songs that could possibly be allowed into the contest. However, I can only allow 80 of them into the contest since 83 songs simply won't work with the format I had set up for the first round of my contest. If I should decide to not allow the Etiäinen demo and Erämaan Viimeinen to be nominated for entry into the contest, there are only 81 Nightwish songs that could possibly be allowed into the contest. From there, the one song that receives the least number of nominations would not be allowed into the contest. This finally leaves 80 left for me to draw up the song placements for the first round.

Yes, our old contest was called Nightwish Survivor so if you would like to carry on the name, by all means go ahead!

I would say to include "Eramaan", because...well, even though it is a vocalized "Last of the Wilds", some people prefer it to the instrumental version.

But if that's the case, then should we also include the orchestral versions and instrumental versions as well?

Oh yes, and welcome to the board!
waveyfrood.gif

Yes, our old contest was called Nightwish Survivor so if you would like to carry on the name, by all means go ahead!

I would say to include "Eramaan", because...well, even though it is a vocalized "Last of the Wilds", some people prefer it to the instrumental version.

I may consider using "Nightwish Survivor" for the name of my contest.

But if that's the case, then should we also include the orchestral versions and instrumental versions as well?

Instrumental versions of various songs (mainly the DPP ones)? Not sure if I'd want to do that, since I don't want a contest where a song is in the contest twice. Not to mention I don't even know the full list of orchestral versions and instrumental versions. If I include more songs in the contest than I already had in mind, I'd have to make some changes to the voting format for the contest. Plus, I'm trying hard to make sure that the total number of songs admitted into the contest is some multiple of 10 (10, 20, 30, and so on). This works out the best for my contest.

I'm planning not to include Erämaan Viimeinen, but other users here can still give their opinions.

But since I'm the host of in charge of this contest, I get to call all the shots and make the important decisions.

Oh yes, and welcome to the board!
waveyfrood.gif

Thanks. This section of the forum is pretty slow. It might take a while just to get some posts from other users here.

Thanks. This section of the forum is pretty slow. It might take a while just to get some posts from other users here.

We do get a lot of lurkers from other parts of the Ultimate Metal site, if we start the game we might see some action.

This board has its off and on moments; there are times when we are busy and times right now before the tour when people are in a slump because there's not much Nightwish news. :(

We do get a lot of lurkers from other parts of the Ultimate Metal site, if we start the game we might see some action.

This board has its off and on moments; there are times when we are busy and times right now before the tour when people are in a slump because there's not much Nightwish news. :(

I can't get this contest started up without having any nominations to help me create the 8 groups of 10 songs. I could try and make the groups myself, but I can't predict how well they would do in the contest without any nominations. A song with very few nominations should do quite bad in the contest and will most likely be eliminated in the first or second round. While a song that is near the top of the list in total nominations would definitely be in the running to possibility win the whole contest.

I want to create 8 groups of 10 songs for the first round and to also make sure they are almost evenly balanced in overall strength.

When I first came up with the idea for my contest, it was going to be run over at the official Nightwish forum. After the knockout games were completed, though.

The nomination process I had planned out would last for a month. Each user gets to post up to 10 of their favorite songs. When the nominations close after one month, I will go through the topic and count up all of the nominations for each song. From there, I can actually make several groups of songs for the first round.

I managed to come up with my list. I mostly started by identifying songs that I know for sure are going to be in my top 10. That provided me with 5 songs already. Then I eliminated songs that I dislike and also eliminated songs that I know for sure aren't going to be on my top 10. Finally, I came up with a list of possible songs (around 10 to 15) that might be on my top 10 and then sat down for a while thinking which ones would be in my top 10.

I do plan on making a totally separate topic for everyone to post their nominations in. Once I post the nomination topic, this topic can be deleted.

Okay. That works. If I get very few nominations after the one month nomination period, I'm going to abandon the idea of running my contest on this forum. I may however possibly decide to run it on the official Nightwish forum.

Nomination topic should hopefully go up later today.

I made the official nomination topic. If I get a poor number of nominations, the idea of running my contest here will be discontinued. I am hoping there will be enough nominations so that all 81 of the eligible songs receive at least one nomination.