Nominations for the Nightwish Survivor contest are open - Post your nominations here!

Hyperspace

Escapist
Feb 28, 2009
Pennsylvania (United States)
I am planning to run a Best Nightwish Song contest, which shall be called "Nightwish Survivor". The purpose of the contest is to see which Nightwish song is considered the overall favorite by this forum. Also, by the end of this contest, I could also create a ranking of every Nightwish song from overall least favorite to overall most favorite.

Nominations will be used as a starting point to draw up the first round placements for every song.

Nomination Rules

- Post up to 10 of your favorite Nightwish songs. No more than 10, please.
- Nominations shall remain open for exactly one month from the creation of this topic. Which means no more nominations will be accepted after April 17th at 1:00 AM EST (GMT -5).
- There is no specific order in which your top 10 songs need to be posted in. You aren't ranking them by how well you like each one.

Update: The nomination phase of this contest is closed. No more nominations may be posted.

The following songs cannot be nominated:

Symphony of Destruction - While it is played quite often live, Nightwish never recorded their own version of the song to be included on a studio album (not on a live/compilation album or a single). Nightwish would have to record their own version and actually place it on a studio album if it wants to be allowed into my contest. Original Nightwish songs (not a recording of a cover) that weren't put on a studio album are allowed into my contest and this would apply to "While Your Lips Are Still Red" (which can be nominated).
High Hopes - It is only included on the Nightwish compilation album "Highest Hopes" and is not present on any studio albums.
Crimson Tide/Deep Blue Sea - Found on the live album "From Wishes to Eternity" and also not present on any studio albums.
Erämaan Viimeinen - Another version of "Last of the Wilds", just with vocals. It will not be allowed to be nominated.

As for the song "Lappi (Lapland)", you cannot nominate the invididual 4 parts to that song, but the song as a whole can be nominated. Which means no nominating Erämaajärvi, Witchdrums, This Moment is Eternity, or Etiäinen.

The Etiäinen demo song will also not be allowed to be nominated since the final completed version of it happens to be one of the 4 parts to Lappi.

My song nominations will be posted in the next post.

My votes are the following, tough as it may have been. I've tried to pick at least one from each album, and a few bonus tracks to make the playing field even.

Oh, Hyperspace, I forgot to ask...do you have to list the songs in order of preference?

Unless otherwise required, these songs are listed in no particular order (except maybe chronological):

1. "A Return to the Sea"
2. "The Riddler"
3. "Sleeping Sun"
4. "Two for Tragedy"
5. "Ocean Soul"
6. "Lagoon"
7. "Planet Hell"
8. "Higher Than Hope"
9. "The Poet and the Pendulum"
10. "Sahara"

It was hard for me to pick a solid favorite off AFF, and if I had, it wouldn't have left room for the other songs I wanted to vote for.

Oh, Hyperspace, I forgot to ask...do you have to list the songs in order of preference?

No, you don't. I figured that it would be hard for most of us here to not only pick out our top 10 favorite songs, but then to also try and rank them by how well you like each one. My top 10 songs were ranked from most favorite (Ever Dream is my favorite) to least favorite though. I probably should edit the first post of this topic to note this down.

Swanheart
Poet&Pendulum
Ghost Love Score
Beauty & the Beast
Wishmaster
OTHAFA
End of All Hope
Dead to the World
Elvenpath
Pharaoh Sails to Orion

Like I said in the other posts, I talked to a couple other OSAers who are thinking long and hard about their faves, and plan to be posting their lists in the next few days.

Excellent. As for anyone who may be struggling to make their lists, here's how I handled mine:

I mostly started by identifying songs that I know for sure are going to be in my top 10. That provided me with 5 songs already. Then I eliminated songs that I dislike and also eliminated songs that I know for sure aren't going to be on my top 10. Finally, I came up with a list of possible songs (around 10 to 15) that might be on my top 10 and then sat down for a while thinking which ones would be in my top 10.

Another idea would be to take the songs from each album and rank them from most favorite to least favorite. So you could start by ranking all of the Angels Falls First songs from most favorite to least favorite. Then do the same thing for all the Oceanborn songs, and for the remaining albums. This would probably be good if you want your list to have at least one song from each album.

OK, here is mine:

She is my Sin
Stargazers
Dead to the World
Bless the Child
Dark Chest of Wonders
The Islander
Elvenpath
FantasMic
Wishmaster
Sleeping Sun (Original)

Escapist
Siren
Poet And The Pendulum
Nemo
While Your Lips are Still Red
Phantom Of The Opera < - - - - First song I heard
Islander
Come Cover Me
Lappi
Gethsemene

And those are in order; but the order changes from day to day.

I know I'm more than a little late to the party, but better late than never, as they say. Here's my list, in no particular order.

Ghost Love Score
Poet and the Pendulum
Elvenpath
Sleeping Sun
Wishmaster
FantasMic
Dead Boy's Poem
Bless The Child
Planet Hell
Sahara

So many good songs have been released since the last time that we've done a survivor that a lot of really good songs have gotten pushed off of the top 10 list to make room for newer goodies hehe. I curbed my urge to simply list out the first half of Century Child and almost all of Wishmaster and be done with it ;). There are also songs like 10th Man Down which I've always really liked, but i can't quite say belong on a top 10 list, however they should be noted as i'm sure many newer fans might not be aware of the songs from the Over The Hills EP.

Nominations are now locked down. No more nominations may be posted here.

I finally got around to counting up the nominations. Final tally:

The Poet and the Pendulum - 4
Sleeping Sun - 4
Bless the Child - 3
Wishmaster - 3
Elvenpath - 3
Come Cover Me - 2
Escapist - 2
Nemo - 2
Ocean Soul - 2
Dead to the World - 2
The Islander - 2
FantasMic - 2
Ghost Love Score - 2
Sahara - 2
Planet Hell - 2
Sleepwalker - 1
Ever Dream - 1
Sacrament of Wilderness - 1
Wish I Had an Angel - 1
A Return to the Sea - 1
The Riddler - 1
Two for Tragedy - 1
Lagoon - 1
Higher Than Hope - 1
Swanheart - 1
Beauty and the Beast - 1
Over the Hills and Far Away - 1
End of All Hope - 1
The Pharaoh Sails to Orion - 1
She is my Sin - 1
Stargazers - 1
Dark Chest of Wonders - 1
The Siren - 1
While Your Lips Are Still Red - 1
The Phantom of the Opera - 1
Lappi (Lapland) - 1
Gethsemane - 1
Dead Boy's Poem - 1

With only a total of 6 nominations, spanning a total of only 38 songs out of the 81 eligible for entry into this contest, I will have to discontinue this contest. I simply can't use this poor amount of nominations to create the 8 groups of songs for the first round. I may choose to run this contest on the official Nightwish forum, but definitely not now because of the ongoing knockout games. Still haven't decided on that yet.

Both this topic and the other one I made on this forum can be deleted by C.

The first topic still needs to be deleted.

The OSA is just too inactive these days to make it possible to host a contest like this.

I checked out the OSA site again and saw this in the news:

4/16/09
Last 24 hours of Nightwish Survivor
If you haven't placed your votes yet for Nightwish Survivor, you have 24 hours in which to do so! The votes will be tallied tomorrow night and the winner posted here on Saturday.
To enter the contest, click on the links in the news segment below.

You have that wrong. This is the nomination phase you are referring to here, not the voting phase. The nomination phase is not designed to find a winner, but to help me create groups of songs for the first round. Then the actual contest starts, which won't be happening now because of a poor number of nominations.