Whoa! The Watchtower -- SA sound-alikes from 1982...

:lol: This thread is awesome! I can't believe someone who listens to SA had never heard of Watchtower! I think it is a good thing; must be more young fans out there!

Funny you mention that, aPinecone. The very first time I heard Sprial Architect, I thought it sounded very similar to Ron Jarzombek's other band, Spastic Ink, only with a singer. Scroll about halfway down and listen to the mp3 clips on the right.

I know Spastik Ink, but I think SA does not sound like that. Jarzombek is one of the guitarists you can discern among 100 others.

Actually, I think hardly any band is comparable to SA. Sure, there are a lot of tech bands, but what tells SA from them is: it does not seem like "wanking" for the sake of it. I feel that every note on "A Sceptic's Universe" is there fore a reason, so the technicality is natural and actually just a medium for self-expression and not self-exposure.

...if that makes sense to you.:)

Occam's Razor wrote:
Sure, there are a lot of tech bands...
Not to split hairs, but if we're talking true technical metal bands, then there aren't many at all.
When I say true, I mean not prog bands with technical tendancies, ala Zero Hour, and not , chaos bands who are largely about noise, ala DEP, and Behold the Arctopus, and not death metal bands who rely on fast picking patterns but not much rhythmic complexity. (Technical death is a redundant label anyway, since a prerequisite to being a death metal band is having a certain amount of technical proficiency above an average metal band.) But the level of technical proficiency that makes a band a technical metal band is present in very few bands.
I just read on another board how Blind Guardian is now being called prog. I hate when genres get so watered down and misunderstood that bands start showing up on lists that just don't belong there, and before you know it John Q Public is led to believe that Bon Jovi is Prog and therefore Dream Theater are technical metal. I know it shouldn't bother me, but I crnge every time I see someone call Zero Hour technical metal. :mad: They're a great band, but they're not even CLOSE to the being an actual technical metal band. Textbook prog yes, tech metal No.
Sorry, I'll get down from my soap box now.
Tom C

Reactions: progmetaldan
yeah, indeed...Mr C is being quite dogmatic here, even though I know what he means, especially considering all the hyperfast extreme bands. It is really idiotic to call something like Kataklysm or Cephalic Carnage progressive or even jazz metal - also Meshuggah, probably the most overated band. The odd dissonance here or there does not make a band jazz or whatever...

Technical = Watchtower, Cynic, Sprial Architect, Spastic Ink

Tech Death or whatever label you like = Atheist, Death, Spawn of Possession, Necrophagist, Theory in Practice, Martyr

Technical Metal drumming is usually more fluid and influenced heavily by jazz and fusion. There is also less speed, but there is nothing wrong with speed.

Well, what do you say are the differences between progressive metal and technical metal? I prety much use them interchangably, but some say prog metal must have odd time sigs, and tech metal is prog metal plus high physical-playing skill. But if that's the case, hypothetically, if Cynic or Spastic Ink etc only used 4/4 time sigs, but kept the complexity of the songs at a high point, would these bands' music cease to be either technical or progressive?

Zyquix wrote:
Well, what do you say are the differences between progressive metal and technical metal? I prety much use them interchangably

Well STOP DOING THAT!!!! Just kidding.

Let's take a few examples. Dream Theater. By now pretty much everyone agrees that they are a progressive metal band. So as not to confuse the issue, let's take their CD Images and Words. Now play that CD, and just listen to what the music does. Sure it has some parts that are at a pretty high level of intricacy, but almost always only during instrumental breaks and solos. Whenever James is singing it's mostly power chords or simple riffs.

Much harder for people to grasp are bands like Power Of Omens and Zero Hour and Linear Sphere. I see people calling them tech metal all the time, when in fact, the music tells you it's textbook prog.

Now take Spiral Architect and listen to what their music does. (Cloud Constructor and Moving Spirit don't count as they are really not technical metal songs and have more in common with the DT style prog). You should notice immediately that the unified flow is gone. The runs don't follow predictable patterns, triplets emerge from nowhere, runs stutter and start and stop in weird places, and even when power chords are played, they are shifted around to land on different beats and are not repeated to infinity. Songs are not usually based around chords as much as crazy runs. The drums don't just play back beats, in fact almost never. Even over the simplest music the drums are doing something completely different.

Just listen to what the guitars are playing on the song Spinning. They never settle into anything for any length of time. The patterns are constantly shifting and changing. Then listen to the drums; same thing, always in motion, and the bass is usually playing something different as well, and usually even more busy than the guitars. THAT'S technical metal.

some say prog metal must have odd time sigs, and tech metal is prog metal plus high physical-playing skill. But if that's the case, hypothetically, if Cynic or Spastic Ink etc only used 4/4 time sigs, but kept the complexity of the songs at a high point, would these bands' music cease to be either technical or progressive?

Even more confusing is the fact that prog bands have some songs that are metal without the prog, and technical metal bands have some songs that are more prog than tech on their CDs. Very confusing I admit.

Odd meters are inevitably going to be present in both prog and tech, although technically speaking, they aren't required. A band could play in 4/4, but through the use of syncopation not sound like it at all. The end result would still be unsettling and hard to tap your foot steadily to, so the difference to most is irrelevent I suppose.

If you've heard Spastic Ink, you know that, although they sound nothing like Spiral Architect, their music is on a different level rhythmically and structurally than Dream Theater of Zero Hour, or Fates Warning. Spastic Ink has some SICK syncopation. (They actually have a song that's in 4/4 for the entire song, and the drummer only uses his snare and bass drum for the beats, but that song is totally 'teched' out. Even a song like that is more rhythmically complex than a lot of odd metered measures of most prog bands.) Usually people hear their music as speeding up and slowing down, stopping and starting, drums locking up perfectly with the guitar runs, and an overall unsteady flow upon first listen. Again, THAT'S technical metal. Progressive metal just doesn't maintain that kind of insanity for any length of time. Technical metal is more crazy more of the time.

Call me dogmatic if you want, but I watched for years the prog metal world turn to keyboard metal, and saw the loss of a lot of great bands to an influx of melodic metal and power metal bands. The same thing WILL happen to the technical metal world if we adopt the same philosophy. We shouldn't try to expand the genre by becoming liberal with our definition, we should expand it by forcing bands to meet the criteria. The end result will be much better.
My hats off to you Zyquix for trying to understand and grasp all of this. Did any of this help?:confused:
Tom C

Steve Digiorgio once said...
...Fuck categorization. Good music is good music.

I really don't see why everyone is banging their heads against walls trying to figure out exactly what classification of metal you should put these bands into. Zero Hour is a good band, Spiral Architect is a good band, why make it more difficult than that?
-Travis

i don't care what label the have... i just like SA! :saint:

and if you use so strict labels then you must categorise ever song in a different label... this song is a tech metal, this one is death metal with prog and this song is jazzy prog with classical metal..
labels are there to make things easier to talk about so let them use them in that way.

Tom C said:
Zyquix wrote:
We shouldn't try to expand the genre by becoming liberal with our definition, we should expand it by forcing bands to meet the criteria. The end result will be much better.

and with that attitude there would never be tech metal because all the bands will still sounds like black sabbath (ohno they wouldn't exist also because they use different kinds of musicstyles also). Look at Slayer or Motorhead, they sound the last 20 years the same, is that what you like? Give me bands like Ulver or The gathering that progress over the years!

and with that attitude there would never be tech metal because all the bands will still sounds like black sabbath (ohno they wouldn't exist also because they use different kinds of musicstyles also). Look at Slayer or Motorhead, they sound the last 20 years the same, is that what you like? Give me bands like Ulver or The gathering that progress over the years!

Well, that's where you and most others disagree with me. I see labels/catagorization as a necessary evil. But don't misunderstand me; I'm not against progress or advancement or new sounds or any of that. What I'm against is lumping all bands into one catagory. I don't want to search blindly through the record stores, online catalogs, web sites, and friends' CD collections one by one in a futile attempt to find bands that sound, stylistically, like the type of music I like. By your argument, genres PREVENT progress, which clearly isn't true, as there are tons of metal bands who sound NOTHING alike. Genres, or subgenres if you like, define the STYLE of music in that particular genre.

What do The Gathering and Slayer have in common? You're comparing bands from two differnt genres. That's my point. Genres allow bands like Slayer to exist and The Gathering to exist and Spiral Architect to exist without ever having to coexist in the same space. They shouldn't. They're nothing alike.

Styles will change, new bands will pop up playing new forms of music all the time, and when they do a new (sub)genre name will be given to them. That's what should have happened but didn't when the whole prog thing started happening. I desperately do not want that to happen with this genre. I want to hear more bands like Spiral Architect and Spastic Ink, coming up with even more wicked and mind blowing stuff. That WILL NOT happen by lowering the bar with how we define technical metal. Just look at what happened with the progressive metal genre. Gone are the days of Perfect Symmetry and Images and Words.

I've said this many times on other boards, but after DreamTheater released Awake, a bunch of people started imitating that sound, as clearly Images and Words could not be duplicated. With Awake came a simpler approach to their writing. 7-string power chords, a lot more back beats, and more groove dominated more of their songs. Then came the clone bands, except that the level of musicainship was not up to the standard of an already simpler DreamTheater. Take metal add an odd meter in a song or two, and get a keyboardist. That was the misguided logic of many.

What's worse is people new to the genre heard these keyboard bands and thought "Oh that's prog, I can do that" and so they started cloning the clones, and before you know it there were third and fourth generation clones saturating the prog world, each one less prog than the last. Then came bands like Power Of Omens and Zero Hour bringing back that original sound of the Images and Words and Perfect Symmetry era, and people thought it was technical metal because it was more technical than the keyboard metal now masquarading as prog metal.

But my point is that lumping all kinds of bands into the genre killed real prog. It did nothing to advance it. All of the non-prog bands that infilitrated the genre already had a genre of their own; power metal, melodic metal, symphonic metal, etc. It was veiwed as being confrontational to correct people and say "actually Nevermore is metal but they're not progressive metal". But the reality is that Nevermore is the old Sanctuary from the 80's. They played alongside bands like Metallica, Metal Church, Exciter, Overkill, and they played and still play the exact same kind of music stylistically. So why, I ask, are they now consideredprog by so many, and all of those other bands not? Same with Evergrey. Adding a few touches of keys or an odd meter doesn't make a metal band or a power metal band progressive.

If we're hoping for a band to come along and raise the bar set by Spiral and Spastic, they have to be held to THAT level and standard. It's the most rediculous thing in the world to try to make the genre bigger simply by adding bands to it. The genre will only truly grow if we stay dilligent in our definition and (dare I say) catagorization. Watering down a genre like prog and tech isn't progression it's regression.
Tom C

I agree with everything except for this:

Tom C said:
(Cloud Constructor and Moving Spirit don't count as they are really not technical metal songs and have more in common with the DT style prog).

No way man! Just b/c Cloud Constructor is slower than the rest of the songs doesn't mean it isn't just as insane. And just listen to the end of the song! It is absolutely ridiculous! Take for example the bass lead in at 5:08-5:10:OMG:
The interplay between bass and guitars makes Moving Sprirt a technical metal song IMO. The guitars may be a tad more simple, but I think the bass factor pushes it over the edge (especially the watchtower like bass lines in 3:10-3:30)
In addition, these songs sound nothing like Dream Theater!!!:)