Who's the best bass players?

alanbirdsell

That's gonna leave a mark
Dec 13, 2002
Spokane, WA
www.alanbirdsell.com
Now that we have done guitars, how about bass?

Some of my faves:
Jaco Pastorius

Magnus Rosen - Hammerfall

Joey Vera - Armored Saint, Fates Warning.

Johnny Lee Middleton - Savatage, Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Chris Squire - Yes

Stu Hamm - Joe Satriani

Geezer Butler - Black Sabbath

Andy McKinney - Molly Hatchet

And, of course, our own, Wanda :D

ME, BABY! ME!

I know what you're thinking, "He's goofing around." Well...

I'M NOT! DEAL WITH IT! :p

Mel!!!! Melanie Sisneros is the best thing to happen to the bass since swiss cheese!

Well, OK, swiss cheese on your bass frets is not a good idea, but she's still my favorite bassist!
:D

As for all the other bass players, I'll go with a short list:

Stuart Hamm - he has four solo albums out!!! They are all awesome too!

Steve Harris - Duh!

Joey Vera - Fates Warning/Engine; haven't bought an Armored Saint album since March Of The Saint.

Sean Malone - Gordian Knot anyone?

There are more, but those are the ones that stick out at the moment.

Wanda should be on that list, but I haven't heard her play yet...
;)

Originally posted by Mr Toast

Wanda should be on that list, but I haven't heard her play yet...
;)

I have Wanda on my list :D And you should too, Toast! What I observed was Wanda's playing was modest and not overplayed, yet solid and tight. The formal music background is pleasantly evident. However, I bet she could dish out a helluva bass solo if the opportunity presented itself. Very good stage presence, especially considering how tiny the stages I saw her on were. Just my opinion, I could be wrong...
:saint:

Snausages, Do you mean Stanley Clarke instead of Stanley Jordan. I think I went and saw Stanley Jordan at the Galaxy about a year and a half ago and he plays guitar, kind of a two-handed hammer-on style.

Originally posted by Steph Harris
If you click on "Audio/Video clips" on our website, I can be heard playing on "The Trooper", Flight of Icarus", and "Run To The Hills". :)

Or I can just see you play live next week!
:D

Mr Toast is bouncing off the walls again!

Originally posted by Steph Harris
There are so many great players (famous & unknown). It would be hard to list everyone. I think we had another similar thread going (titled So. Cal. bassists) where everyone wrote about their favorites so you may want to check that out.

Heh that thread got seriously hijacked. Ok, I was one of the culprits, but still. :)

Here's a totally obscure one for you all: Jonas Hellborg. Played acoustic bass (not an upright, looked like an acoustic guitar), scariest stuff I ever heard.

Originally posted by Melisan

Here's a totally obscure one for you all: Jonas Hellborg. Played acoustic bass (not an upright, looked like an acoustic guitar), scariest stuff I ever heard.

I've got his 'Elegant Punk' album. Wild stuff. He does a cover of Little Wing on it. Another far out bassist is Doug Wimbish of 'Tack-Head'. I saw him do a clinic and he played a crazy version of Purple Haze on bass that smoked. :Smokin:

a few of my favorites:

steve digiorgio
eric langlois(cryptopsy, good god hes badass)
lemmy
cliff burton
flea
me(even though i really suck)
jeff ament(pearl jam)

Jaco Pastorious definitely comes to mind when you say, "all time greatest".
Just blasting his "S/T" solo release the other day.

You crazy kids have mentioned allot of my faves, but here's a few that I think are missed.

When it comes to living Jazz Cats: John Patitucci

Metal: Steve DiGiorgio

Funk: George Johnson (The Brother's Johnson), Bootsy Collins (Bootzilla)

Blues: Tommy Shannon

Spanish / Norteño: Luis Hernández (bajo sexto - Los Tigres Del Norte)

Did I leave someone out?

that dude from mudvayne is pretty good too, i was quite surprised, that was back in 2000 before anybody heard of them, including me until that night