Why am I getting so many popups with Firefox?

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
It's starting to piss me off. Granted they aren't excessive, but up until a month or so ago, pops were nonexistent for me. Now they slip through regularly at ad-heavy sites like Photofucket.com and others.

This is at both home and work, running Firefox 1.0 at home and Firefox 0.9 at work. WTF.

15 minutes, no answer. Looks like I'll have to off myself with a rusty hammer now. Thanks a lot, queers!

Erik said:

Don't think I've gotten a single popup. Then again I use Firefox 0.8, I've been told that the blocker is actually worse in later versions.

Hmm, maybe I need to downgrade. I've checked for spy/adware several times including using that stupid Microshit patch that came out a few weeks ago, and nothing comes up. It's frustrating though, although just a minor inconvenience since it's only occasional.

I don't have the old install file for 0.8, would someone be so very kind as to email it to me? ADDRESS REMOVED Thanks in advance. :)

I have 1.0.1 and I don't have issues with popups. One trick some developers are using are called DHTML popups that are able to bypass popup blockers. Not sure if that is what is happening or not for you.

"DHTML popups" are not actually popups, they're regular <div> layers brought to the front of the browser window via semi-clever use of JavaScript. If it's actually a pop-up window, it's nothing to do with DHTML, and Firefox should block it.

I was popup free for a while, oddly a week or so ago I've had some popups starting to show though in firefox.

All of a sudden yesterday, I got some ad for The Ring, that keeps popping up , spyware style... and searches aren't finding anything!!

I actually like Win XP, it's not terribly difficult to manipulate so that bullshit doesn't happen, and then with Firefox that terrible adware plague was eliminated as well. I'm hoping that these popups are just squeaking through, maybe the next update will be Stronger Better and Faster.

A lot of pop-ups are launched through plugins like Java or Flash. You can set Firefox's popup blocker to paranoid mode to block those, if you like, but I don't know whether it blocks legitimate uses of Javascript window.open()s. You can try it, though:

1. Type "about:config" (no quotes) into the address bar
2. Right click anywere and go to New -> Integer
3. Enter "privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins" (no quotes) as the name, and "2" (no quotes) as the value.

You can also use the wonderful Adblock extension to block the offensive flash file.

Erik: why on earth are you using 0.8?

I get popups on one site I know of with firefox. I never get any with Safari, its still the most solid one Ive used. I like the macintosh OS personally. Ive been using Macs for anout 10 years now. If you get past all the gay trendy hype and advertising anyway.

Erik said:
I refuse to install GTK+ 2.x. This newfangled shit with anti-aliased fonts disgusts me.

I thought some fags out there did GTK+ 1.x builds of Firefox, though? Or did they stop when they realised that GTK+ 2.x is superior in every way?

Apart from lots of critical bugfixes huh

The latest builds on the aviary tree fix the horrible memory problem that's plagued firefox since version 0.4 or whenever it was :cool: