Why does Agalloch release so many EPs and not full-lengths?

I thought Ashes was a snoozefest...pretty uninspired if you ask me...sounds like some of the stuff my band and I jam on after some bong hits... really nothing special in terms of writing in my opinion...but thats just my thoughts.. I can see why people would dig it..it does have some cool parts... still...

it was an okay album but after all the praise I saw on this board for these guys I was really expecting a masterpiece...

I thought Ashes was a snoozefest...pretty uninspired if you ask me...sounds like some of the stuff my band and I jam on after some bong hits... really nothing special in terms of writing in my opinion...but thats just my thoughts.. I can see why people would dig it..it does have some cool parts... still...

it was an okay album but after all the praise I saw on this board for these guys I was really expecting a masterpiece...

who ever said it was a masterpiece? it's a fantastic album.

They fullfilled their contracts with the end, and chose not to resign. Im not exactly sure of the reasons why, but the end is turning into a non metal label it seems.
Non-metal? That's interesting.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a proper label for Agalloch either. Would Peaceville show any interest in signing them? To me, they were so inseperable with The End. Oh well.

Non-metal? That's interesting.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a proper label for Agalloch either. Would Peaceville show any interest in signing them? To me, they were so inseperable with The End. Oh well.

I heard that they were kind of unhappy with the direction The End is heading and decided to look for a label that would give them more artistic freedom. Don't quote me on this but an internal source told me that when they submitted their last album, The End wanted a remaster because it wasn't as polished and loud as "Reinkaos". I know if I was in a band, that would piss me off!

I don't blame them at all for leaving The End. It seems as if the label is pushing Lordi and MSI and ignoring the other bands. Oh well, The End was once a great label.

hahaha yeah, it's like somthing to tie you over for a while:lol:
i enjoyed ashes against the grain, i thought it was pretty great, cept for our fortress is burning(all parts)
lol what? how can you not like bloodbirds. anyway, any news on what label they are going to sign? i have no idea, but i think they will get some pretty good offers from some of the bigger labels around

I'm not sure they're even looking for a new label at this point, they've always been rather independant anyhow, doing things more DYI might be more suited to them really. They're not a band who tours alot or wants to cater towards trends and are pretty much considered "cult", so signing with a big label might not really work out too well. That's my two cents, anyhow.

As for The End Records, Andreas has always been very diverse and untypical in terms of the bands he chooses for the label. There's still metal bands on the roster, too. I don't know what happened with Agalloch as that's none of my business (or yours either really! lol) But I can say that TER have never pushed us to change anything or do something we weren't comfortable with in order to sell more cds or compete with other bands productions, etc.

I think both Agalloch, and The End Records, are gonna thrive and survive just fine regardless. Best of luck to both of 'em.

Oh and keeping on topic....I liked the last EP, I think it's one of the best things the band has done to date.

ive heard the reason agalloch left the end was because of the touring. they were having plans on touring outside of the us, and wanted to play europe and other places. as they didnt feel the end was able to make this happen, they wanted to find a label that would do a better job promoting them, so they would be able to play where they wanted. not only that, but they felt it was the right time to move on. i think it has got something to do with the money issues as well. i know they arent gonna sign roadrunner og nuclear blast but they know what they can get, and its a lot more than the end is able to offer them thats for sure

i gave our fortress is burning a second listen and it's the last track i dont like, the very last one, it's just noise, the rest of that album is amazing though, one of my all time favorites

Ironically, the whole album started with the creation of that last track and the vinyl-only final part:

Scars Of The Shattered Sky: Our Fortress Has Burned To The Ground.

which is perhaps the coolest track title in the history of the world.