Why get analog signal processors?

AndrewB

That Darn Kid
Jul 21, 2011
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I've seen many people that record into a DAW, but still get analog signal processors. Why would you get an analog compressor, when you could run a compressor plugin and be able to change the settings and even delete the effect? Would it just be for the sound of the signal being run through analog gear?

Because they're easier to use than playing around with a mouse. They also have a certain character to them that might be hard to find in a digital plugin.

There are many engineers who feel that plug-ins can't quite achieve the same sounds as their analog counterparts, moreso with compressors than with EQ or delay/modulation effects. It's an ongoing argument that will probably never die.

In my experience many/most people fail blind tests comparing modern plugs and hardware, so take that with a grain of salt.

In my opinion there are slight differences, but it's more of a subjective, negligible difference than the "night and day" difference that many people proclaim it is. It's also worth pointing out that a pair of analog units will rarely sound identical to each other, especially older units - so there are always going to be slight differences when you compare them to plugs.

At the end of the day, it's really up to the engineer to weight the pro and cons and decide what they prefer.

^

Yeah but if you ever used a real hardware 1176 for example then it is hard to go back. Its all in the attack and the smoothness that comes with the analogue gear. Plugins can't do that yet. If you smash the shit out of vocals with hardware then usually you just need to raise the fader to make the vocals sit in the mix.

I NEED MY STUDIO TO LOOK LIKE AN ADVANCED SPACE FLIGHT SIMULATOR. MORE KNOBS = BETTER SOUND.

this.

actually everything should have more dials, displays and switches.

edit: I'd love to download some analog gear. imagine that, you drop in the smd components, and the magic analog circuit bakery shits out an 1176 or something. now that would be fuckin' ace. (circuit schems are not patentable, only the layouts are)

One of the things I don't think has been mentioned is that you never have to upgrade to the latest version of your hardware, it will still work the same and will be compatible with your studio throughout your lifetime. Do you think if they used plugins in the 60's to get those classic sounds that we would still be able to run the same plugins with no problems in Windows 7 today? Probably not.

Try to thing about it with an other point of view.
For me analog isn't better than digital, just different tools with different color...
I don't care if 1176 plugin sound like an hardware 1176. Each one have a specific sound/color/tone that can be used for achieve what you looking for.

Do some test with that. Just insert different plugin comp for exemple and listen what color each one add (with no compression). Same thing aply to hardware...

Call me crazy but I'm not alone to think like that...