Why I am jealous of Shadows Fall by Greg Massi

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
Since I am still a bit drunk I figured now was as good a time as ever for an dissertation. I have never asked for much from my music career. But ever since I was a wee wide-eyed, teenage, dorky metalhead watching the headbanger's ball every saturday night I set up some goals for myself to accomplish in my professional music career. These goals were as following:

1. Be in a guitar magazine
2. Play the Castle Donnington metal festival
3. Play a show with Iron Maiden

I thought of these as pretty straight ahead goals for any aspiring metal musician. Now we fast forward to 2003 where I am typing this in the computer room of my parent's house in New Britain CT and I have just learned that Shadows Fall(aka the local band who i have been seeing grow since 1998 thanks to BigFakeSmile) has now reached each of my goals. They have been in guitar magazines, and I just found out tonight that they are playing at the Castle Donnington festival this year on the same night as Iron Maiden. Now regardless of what some of you may think of them musically(because I know I haven't been that much into the new material they have been producing as of late), the fact remains that these bastards who have been a part of the New England metal scene for the last few years are now reaching the goals I have dreamed about for years and frankly it makes me both incredibly happy for them and at the same time incredibly jealous.

So I will officially go on record and say that I, Greg Massi, being of drunk mind and body, am officially jealous of Shadows Fall(although not in a musical sense, see "we fucking rule" thread).

PS. I plan on posting more drunk threads before I go to bed.

just for the record. WHile they are pretty good, I believe that Shadows Fall is the most overhyped overrated band of the past decade.

I remember when "Of One BLood" was coming out and you couldn't see a metal mag without a HUGE CM promotion stating something to the effect of "THIS IS THE NEW MASTER OF PUPPETS!" or something, when in reality all it was was a new Shadows Fall CD.

Nothing too great, nothing too sucky.

Plus in this "metalcore" or whatever style...

I think Killswitch Engage is like a bjillion times better.

"Alive or Just Breathing" poops heavily on every SF album IMO.

I think Shadows Fall is atrocious, and Greg you make music that is slowly going to change the metal scene for years to come. Which is far more important than anything Shadows Fall will ever do. Shadows Fall has a marketable look and image, their music is so average its funny, and motw in mindblowing and unique. Greg you have nothing to be jealous about.