Hail Greg Fucking Massi!

Back when a friend came to my house with the maudlin disks and told me 'listen to this stuff man' he played "They Aren't All Beautifull" and "Heaven and Weak" for me from the first disk, and "Riseth He, the Numberless", sections one and two from the second disk. I just stood there, my otherwise chatty mood (I hadn't seen my friend in a while) dispelled by what was transpiring, musically.

I didn't know the personell in the band of course, so at first I had this strong feeling this is the work of something like 3 core members and then assorted friends and session people, perhaps. I'd faster believe there were no session members even, that some monstrous malformed being somewhere in a shed in the woods played everything I am listening to in solitude, perhaps with a drummer servant or something. This has to do I guess with how cohesive maudlin sounded to me, it really didn't seem like 'here's music by 6 people, everybody contributing a little bit'. I especially enjoyed Heaven and Weak. I had the distinct impression that whomever was doing the voivod vocal impression was also handling all guitar duties. I was struck by how powerful that entity would be, what sort of man would plan and execute this sort of music.

Now I know motW are the result of the combined genius of several people, and while this has had an effect on how I hear the music, it doesn't take away from the fact that as awesome the guitar solos are in these songs, they aren't disembodied showcases of skill, they belong to their songs completely.

So, good job, Greg Massi.

Brief as it is, the solo near the end of the Wayfarer is my favorite. I thought it was really ballsy to throw a wide string bendy-type, metal as fuck solo into that song. Its really jarring. It lifts the song out of its ponderous mood, and then its gone with a weird little squawking sound.

toby doesn't sound like tim or jeff buckley to me.

and mia didn't play in maudlin, did she?

also greg's solos are like god farting, which, as you know, sounds awesome.