why it SHOULD have been S.O.D.

Crabmeat said:
I fucking love Speak English or Die! I learned how to play guitar with that rceord. I was already an Anthrax fan when I heard about S.O.D. (back in about '88) and still am.

However, I think part of the magic of S.O.D. is the very fact that it was a one off. Total Guerilla Hardcore: In and out the studio in 3 days, a handful of low key gigs and hasta luego, no big marketing plan, no business shit, no thought behind it. Just a blink and you'll miss it, fun, side project. I think if SOD had remained as a band proper, they would just have become "another" Thrash/crossover/HC band.

I dig the cult aspect of it. Fucking legendary!

What you said has a lot of merit behind it IMO. But perhaps on that same note it is still possible. I mean 1985 was first release. then bigger than the devil was 1999 (am i correct?) i am not going to count Live at the Buhdakan.

Technically they could do it again do to the large gap in time. If they were churning out releases at a higher rate, it would become a one trick pony. But at this rate and with the fan base.... perhaps one more?

Then again i am a fan talking, and fans always want to see more.

But back to what you said i totally agree with.

Yeah, Anthrax were the first ones who were refered to as "thrash" metal, which of course doesn´t mean they had invented it. Music is a subject of constant evolution.

Thrash Metal Maniac said:
Dave mustaine didnt create thrash metal. anthrax was around before megadeth.
Check Scott Ian's liner notes for the reissue of "Killing is my Business." Dave Mustaine created thrash metal. He was part of the original Metallica, and he was the one who started the muffed chord chugga-chugga thing.

Resunikcufecin said:
Check Scott Ian's liner notes for the reissue of "Killing is my Business." Dave Mustaine created thrash metal. He was part of the original Metallica, and he was the one who started the muffed chord chugga-chugga thing.

I dont know how we ended up here...But Ill bite. The 3 thrash "mothers" are considered Metallica, Anthrax, and Slayer. Megadeth quickly jumped on board. However, Kreator was around in 1982, and released their first album in the US in 1985. Kill em All was released in 1983, Fistful of Metal in 1984, and Show No Mercy in 1983. Oddly enough, Metal Church's first release "Red Skies" was put out in 82.

Who invented thrash? Dont know...It just kind of happened. It wasnt Dave Mustaine, or Scott Ian though. Have you guys heard the 10000 German bands from that era???? There were so many thrash metal bands back then. Its hard to say who started it. BTW, Judas Priest was doing the chugga chugga thing way before Dave Mustaine was.

pitslaught said:
I dont know how we ended up here...But Ill bite. The 3 thrash "mothers" are considered Metallica, Anthrax, and Slayer. Megadeth quickly jumped on board. However, Kreator was around in 1982, and released their first album in the US in 1985. Kill em All was released in 1983, Fistful of Metal in 1984, and Show No Mercy in 1983. Oddly enough, Metal Church's first release "Red Skies" was put out in 82.

Who invented thrash? Dont know...It just kind of happened. It wasnt Dave Mustaine, or Scott Ian though. Have you guys heard the 10000 German bands from that era???? There were so many thrash metal bands back then. Its hard to say who started it. BTW, Judas Priest was doing the chugga chugga thing way before Dave Mustaine was.

I'm a fan of Priest, and they sounded nothing like the big "thrash" bands before those bands were around.

Again, the release date of Killing is my Business is not valid in this argument. Mustaine was in Metallica, when they were well known, but didn't yet have a record deal, but were influencing other bands everywhere. People who were around the scene back then, (like Scott Ian,) attest to the fact that Dave "invented" Metallica's sound.

I don't really see what Metal Church has to do with this. To be fair though, I'll admit I'm not that familiar with Kreator's sound.

pitslaught said:

Yeah, I think it is pretty much impossible to say that any certain band created thrash. It pretty much falls into the same lines as Dio saying that he invented the the horns up :headbang: which was later claimed to be invented by Gene $immon$....

pitslaught said:

Yeah, I think it is pretty much impossible to say that any certain band created thrash. It pretty much falls into the same lines as Dio saying that he invented the the horns up :headbang: which was later claimed to be invented by Gene $immon$....

MyHatredforYouRunsDeep said:
It's really just nit-picking over a very small part of what I said in a previous rant. My real point was that S.O.D. was more innovative on the whole than Anthrax.

Hey, I've got to give you props for your spelling of Gene $immon$. I'll be ripping that off in the future.

MyHatredforYouRunsDeep said:

Yea, and everyone knows that David Hasselhoff invented the horns up :headbang: