why we have millions of opinions on mixes over here

dcb

nerd
Dec 7, 2008
simply because most people honestly have no treated rooms (or shall i say imperfect acoustics even with treatment, am i right? ;-)
(i know there are still enough people here with great rooms! no offense to anyone of course ;-)!
but i think thats the main problem when posting mixes here,
you get so many different opinions because of different rooms.
i feel we are all pushing each other into wrong directions (not always, but often enough).

especially noobs... i mean noob 1 posts his mix (with no treatment), noob 2 answers : lower that bass, its killing me over here :) (again noob 2 has no treatment either...)

maybe we should all use ROOM EQ WIZARD and attach
our room response curve to our profile ?
maybe that helps evaluating how serious comments are...

you could even put yours into your signature... maybe i will do that.
what do you guys think?

i cant speak for all the 'noobs' as i'm one myself, but the biggest thing that i find i have trouble with, and what i am trying to get help with when i post in this section, is trying to get everything sitting together in a mix. I'm not sure exactly how much the room effects this, but more help in finding the problem areas or freq's causing my mixes to not sound right. I realise that there is no magic answer, but a guiding tip, if possible, always helps to speed up the learning process.

Not trying to start any wars or the like, and i definately agree that alot of reading and searching of this forum, and other resources on the net, should be done first, along with some time spent on the mixes in question rather that just throwing up a 10 min effort and asking for help.

I know help is not always possible, people are busy and probably sick and tired of people asking for help all the time. But hey it doesn't hurt to ask i think and the worst case is that i dont get a reply. That wont stop me from following this forum and learning what i can.

Hope this all makes sense lol, really hard to convey tone in writing.

Anyway cheers for a great site, see you all around in here.

Cheers

Phil

I'm not sure exactly how much the room effects this, but more help in finding the problem areas or freq's causing my mixes to not sound right.

the problem is : thats exactly what causes mixes to suffer.
you cant tell what frequencies make your mix sound like ass,
if your room doesnt tell the truth... if you have a 20db dip @ 120hz,
you will never have enough bass in your mixes,while person b with a 10 db
boost will tell you to turn the bass down... how can that be any help :) ?

if you know what problems this person has, you can evaluate way better what the other guys impressions
could really mean for your mix...

btw:welcome to the forum ;-)

simply because most people honestly have no treated rooms (or shall i say imperfect acoustics even with treatment, am i right? ;-)
(i know there are still enough people here with great rooms! no offense to anyone of course ;-)!
but i think thats the main problem when posting mixes here,
you get so many different opinions because of different rooms.
i feel we are all pushing each other into wrong directions (not always, but often enough).

especially noobs... i mean noob 1 posts his mix (with no treatment), noob 2 answers : lower that bass, its killing me over here :) (again noob 2 has no treatment either...)

maybe we should all use ROOM EQ WIZARD and attach
our room response curve to our profile ?
maybe that helps evaluating how serious comments are...

you could even put yours into your signature... maybe i will do that.
what do you guys think?

the room eq wizard..is that something that can point out if your room is adding too much of something which would then make it feasable to compensate for it?

There's some truth in that I guess, but in general I disagree. People may have untreated rooms but it's the same room they use to listen to everything else so they know (most of them) how a good mix would sound in it. You'll still get bad advice but it has to do more with the knowledge/experience of said person than his untreated room.
Having said that, personally I'm never able to tell if a mix is good by listening to it in my room, I always use headphones. However, I'm definitely a noob on this area so I rarely give opinions on mixes anyway.

the room eq wizard..is that something that can point out if your room is adding too much of something which would then make it feasable to compensate for it?

exactly. youd need a flat response mic like the behringer ecm800 (45$) to measure the room.
the program itself is not really capable of helping with your room modes etc.
but it showswhere they are, basically shows what frequencies get emphasized or deemphasized by your room. you can export eq settings though, that can be of help, but most people say its better to not eq your room, but treat it.

again, just trying to make this rate my mix section a little more
valuable for all of us.

As rude or mean as it may sound.
Whenever I post a mix, I pay no attention to people with low post counts (not all but most)
not that their ears dont matter to me, but as you said who knows what their rooms are like.
I try to take the feedback of people I know and trust on here that put out quality work and whos judgement I trust.
call me mean and whatnot but its true :(

but do note that almost all the "regular people" who are the end users / recievers, also have untreated rooms

This.

Also, some people will find the bass too loud, others will find the bass too soft. I often find the purpose of the comments in here is not to change my mix based on what others are hearing, but to get myself hearing what others are hearing. If someone says 'that snare sounds like shit', but I love it, I'm not going to change it. If someone says 'that snare sounds like shit', then I take a second listen and I'm like.. yeah it does sound a bit off, then I'll fix that.

but do note that almost all the "regular people" who are the end users / recievers, also have untreated rooms

of course they do, thats why you cant mix in a room like that ;-)
AND you cant judge a mix under those circumstances.
thats why bands request strange mixchanges, they have treated rooms either (not even monitors 9out of 10 times).

its like the blind are leading the blind unfortunately.
if it sounds good at one place it might sound shit everywhere else.

morgan : yeah, im not talking aesthetical questions, if someone says the snare sounds like shit, thats of course nothing to worry about.

im actually most concerned about people giving advice on bass...
maybe the easiest way to go here is to ignore comments on bass ;-)

well, i still like my idea :) and i think in theory it could help this place.
nevertheless i will open a thread and love to see some room responses from some guys over here.

I think that anyone who is serious about recording, regardless of whether they a treated room or now, should have a good idea what their studio monitors are telling them. Honestly, I have no treatment in my room right now, it's still in boxes, and I've got a good sense of frequencies. It's just a matter of adapting to your environment. Listening to other songs of similar genres and comparing. Breaking in your ears to a new place.

+1
what if all "serious opinion" guys (and i mean that in a good way) tell you your mix is awesome and all end user newbz tell you for example you lack bass? i think every opinion is important as long as the poster is serious enough to click on your song and post an opinion about it, i'd just look for experience, there are some good pro dudes here with low post count anyway.

I just take seriously and advice from EVERY comment that i happen to get.
If it were a dude that has 4 posts or 6,800 i have made progress sucking it all between the ears. Ofcourse you have to go on your own way but yeah you got it big furry gnarly beast.