KNOWING your room VS. BUYING your room

Yeah, I built six smaller (60x90cm or so) and one medium sized (120x90cm) 4" broadbands/bass traps for about 120€ total, including the wood and fabric. Super chunking one corner of a regular room will cost around 50€. Use a 100€ or so for the cloud and some additional panels and you've already got a pretty decent improvement for about 400€.

Yeah, I built six smaller (60x90cm or so) and one medium sized (120x90cm) 4" broadbands/bass traps for about 120€ total, including the wood and fabric. Super chunking one corner of a regular room will cost around 50€. Use a 100€ or so for the cloud and some additional panels and you've already got a pretty decent improvement for about 400€.

Man!

I think I should stop looking in gearslutz for info then.. Because all of the projects I see them speaking of, they're spending thousands on sound treatment alone :(

Man!

I think I should stop looking in gearslutz for info then.. Because all of the projects I see them speaking of, they're spending thousands on sound treatment alone :(

Haha, yeah, in Gearslutz land this is what they consider a home studio:

3.jpg

Honestly. That was from the "Post pics of your home studio" thread.

Okay. Here's my layout..

Overall the room I mix in is 20 feet by 60 feet, and the ceilings are on a slant, lowest point being about 15 feet high, and highest point, right above me, being 27 feet high.

Setup.jpg

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

2nd%20bedroom%20area%20has%20the%20light%20in%20it.(1).JPG

That's some really potential space right there. If it's possible, I'd place the mixing spot against the window and brick wall. It would be easy to superchunk those front corners, fill the early reflection points with absorbers and hang a cloud from those wooden structures. That room could possibly sound pretty damn sweet.

would kill for that room. why didn't you just up these pics in the first place when that whole fiasco from before was goin down :lol: ?

edit: what jarkko said. precisely what jarkko said. super chunks + cloud + absorb early reflection points. couple packs of 703 and a free saturday, itt'l be well worth it. plus itt'l look way more legit =p

Thanks guys! I was thinking of building a deviding way to create a control room, but I gave up on that because theceiling is slanted.. I was actually thinking of moving my rig in the "bedroom" area (Not the top right corner, but the bottom one).

Thanks guys! I was thinking of building a deviding way to create a control room, but I gave up on that because theceiling is slanted.. I was actually thinking of moving my rig in the "bedroom" area (Not the top right corner, but the bottom one).

slanted ceiling is desirable, anything other than a cube is desirable. it's common sense, imagine a sound source dead in the center of a perfectly cubic room... the source disperses sound at a right angle against any of the surfaces, and every reflection bounces back and forth passing through the center again, infinitely. this is flutter, the faster the flutter the smaller the room. as soon as an angled wall or ceiling is introduced, the sound is diffused and sent off on a non-recursive path. itt'l still be bouncing off the surfaces without treatment, but itt'l atleast be bouncing all over the place instead of back and forth through the same vector. this is the fundamental concept of diffusion, as opposed to absorbtion, where absorbing is just eliminating the reflection entirely. diffusion is more desirable in a live room where some ambience is desirable... in a mix room, you're more-so after absorbtion of everything so you get a pure image of what the speakers are putting out, but ... anythings better than a cube full of standing-wave.

look at any high-end commercial mix room, the best will have odd walls with tons of angles, and a tiered ceiling with dangling hard surfaces.

one of the oldest tricks in the book for diffusing flutter in a drum room is hanging pallettes on the wall. (like industrial pallettes that crates and cargo get stacked on.)

obviously that shit ain't gonna absorb anything, it's just gonna scatter the sound off in every direction which creates much smoother more desirable ambience.

sorry, went off a bit there... i'm wired outta my skull